cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For those of you with daughters...

do they ever express any desire to do things like the YM do in Boy Scouts? In other words, do they say they wish they could go camping more, or do outdoor things more?

The lack of outdoor activities with the YW is a serious argument against having outdoor activities with the YM in my opinion. In other words, if you can have great female members of the church without any outdoor program, can't you do the same with the the YM? After all, 56% of US Mormons are female. They must be doing something right on that end of the aisle.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
do they ever express any desire to do things like the YM do in Boy Scouts? In other words, do they say they wish they could go camping more, or do outdoor things more?

The lack of outdoor activities with the YW is a serious argument against having outdoor activities with the YM in my opinion. In other words, if you can have great female members of the church without any outdoor program, can't you do the same with the the YM? After all, 56% of US Mormons are female. They must be doing something right on that end of the aisle.
As I have probably mentioned too many times already, our stake has a very rigorous girls camp that is veery bit as challenging as the boy scouts. Seriously. PLus, my daughter goes on the same family camping trips as my sons so it is all rpetty equivalent for us.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:

Mine don't ever bring that up but we do tons of camping and other outdoor stuff as a family so maybe that's why ....
Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
As I have probably mentioned too many times already, our stake has a very rigorous girls camp that is veery bit as challenging as the boy scouts. Seriously. PLus, my daughter goes on the same family camping trips as my sons so it is all rpetty equivalent for us.
But that's only one week in the year.

The boys in my troop go for that week, plus at least eleven more times during the year.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Camping with family is a different beast than camping with your peers.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But that's only one week in the year.

The boys in my troop go for that week, plus at least eleven more times during the year.

True, although they do have some girls camp warm up evetns during the year to prepare for the hikes. You are correct, howeer, that they do not have as many chances as the YM.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter is in the Young Women's program and she goes on two camp outs each summer that are for Young Women. The first is a ward camp - put together by our YW leaders who are very much into serving the girls and the entire YW presidency is comprised of women who love to camp.

The second is the stake camp which my daughter likes least - but she gets away for a week right before school starts, so she tolerates it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
My daughter is in the Young Women's program and she goes on two camp outs each summer that are for Young Women. The first is a ward camp - put together by our YW leaders who are very much into serving the girls and the entire YW presidency is comprised of women who love to camp.

The second is the stake camp which my daughter likes least - but she gets away for a week right before school starts, so she tolerates it.
We also have an annual Father/Daughter campout in our ward. So I guess there are 2 Church camping opportunites per year for the girls.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Ward campout is family camping. Doesn't count.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Ward campout is family camping. Doesn't count.

So you don't count 11 year old scout campouts either? The ones where the dads have to go with the boys?