cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ancestral Human Skull Found in China

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...na-fossil.html
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I think it's most likely that we homo sapiens exterminated other hominids that coexisted with us many thousands of years ago.

If 20th century Germans wanted to exterminate other homo sapiens, and if we wage war on ourselves even today, then it seems reasonable to assume that much more primitive humans living tens of thousands of years ago could have easily hunted and exterminated other hominids.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I think it's most likely that we homo sapiens exterminated other hominids that coexisted with us many thousands of years ago.

If 20th century Germans wanted to exterminate other homo sapiens, and if we wage war on ourselves even today, then it seems reasonable to assume that much more primitive humans living tens of thousands of years ago could have easily hunted and exterminated other hominids.
To me this seems like the most likely explanation of what happened to the neaderthals.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That would be a good movie.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
That would be a good movie.
The language aspect would be challenging. I guess the homo sapiens could speak the Adamic language--with subtitles.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The language aspect would be challenging. I guess the homo sapiens could speak the Adamic language--with subtitles.
I already know some Adamic. I doubt it would be enough to order at a restaurant, though. I'd just end up pointing and eating whatever they brought.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

radiometric dating is inaccurate. The earth is 6000 years old. Don't believe any of it. They probably just found a pig skull.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It has always bothered me that National Geographic is obsessed with pre-historic humanoid fossils. I mean, I subscribe to NatlGeo to read about wild rivers in western China and rare sea turtles in the Arctic and the culture of barges on the Rhine and the national holiday in Thailand and the quest to preserve the ecosystem of the Everglades to the mating habits of the Zulu to the dwindling fish population off of Japan and so forth. I don't subscribe to NatlGeo to listen to them guess about the latest humanoid jawbone dug up in where ever.

I don't want to subscribe to a human evolution rag. It just doesn't have anything to do with the geography of the earth or the cultures or plants/animals that live on the earth.

It seems that at least twice a year they hijack an issue with a long boring piece on Lucy's latest company. I just don't care. I'm sure this find will be on the cover soon. Please move it to a more appropriate magazine. Please.

I read this and it finally hit me: Adam wants to be the Mormon Andy Rooney.