cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road
Default Why this class concerns me.

BYU is set for the next two seasons. 2010 is the first year that this class would really come into play. I don't see this class as being a class that will be able to raise the bar or strive for perfection.

Next year should be a bumber crop of LDS high school players, but we'll have only about 15 scholarships to offer so we're probably not looking at a lot of help there either.

2010 could be rough for us.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
BYU is set for the next two seasons. 2010 is the first year that this class would really come into play. I don't see this class as being a class that will be able to raise the bar or strive for perfection.

Next year should be a bumber crop of LDS high school players, but we'll have only about 15 scholarships to offer so we're probably not looking at a lot of help there either.

We look to be set for 2008 and 2009, so having 2010 be a rough year after 4 years of plenty shouldn't be surprising.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The QB is so key. I heard Bronco say they didn't want to get into the situation they had with Beck ever again. Maybe it was Doman that said it. Anyway the idea was a good QB with a good understudy to later take over. Apparently that plan isn't being executed at the highest level.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Bronco's recent statements makes it sound like Covey is the new QB o' the Future. I'm not sure I'm buying it, but I'm not sure what Plan A is.

Is Munns going to stay?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
CJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
The QB is so key. I heard Bronco say they didn't want to get into the situation they had with Beck ever again. Maybe it was Doman that said it. Anyway the idea was a good QB with a good understudy to later take over. Apparently that plan isn't being executed at the highest level.
Both QB's in the program will just be returning from their missions for the 2010 season. Another cause of concern. We will have a senior Unga and junior Jacobson to help with the transition, but I don't know if that will be enough.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
BYU71

Quote:
Both QB's in the program will just be returning from their missions for the 2010 season. Another cause of concern. We will have a senior Unga and junior Jacobson to help with the transition, but I don't know if that will be enough.
2010 is back to the rotten home schedule as far as the MWC is concerned. I will have to see who we play out of conference. I might not buy my season tickets in 2010.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
CJF

Quote:
Quote:
2010 is back to the rotten home schedule as far as the MWC is concerned. I will have to see who we play out of conference. I might not buy my season tickets in 2010.
Putting that card on the table very early, huh?

I'm wondering how the fan reaction will be if BYU does crack the BCS in 2009 and then has a worse season in 2010 than Utah did in 2005.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
BYU71

Quote:
Putting that card on the table very early, huh?

I'm wondering how the fan reaction will be if BYU does crack the BCS in 2009 and then has a worse season in 2010 than Utah did in 2005.
I really think the BYU fan base is grounded deeper in BYU football than the Utes. Therefor a bad year can be weathered without much damage. 2-3 years of no championships in the MWC and as great as Bronco has been, attendance at firesides will drop dramatically.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Quote:
You know, the story of the "Boy Who Cried 'Wolf!'" only cried "Wolf!" twice.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You know, the story of the "Boy Who Cried 'Wolf!'" only cried "Wolf!" twice.

Easy way around that. Threatening to not go to 2008 games is not the same as threatening to not go to 2010 games.