cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 03:26 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On behalf of the First Presidency

Marlin K. Jensen urges a more thoughtful approach to imigration, pleading with lawmakers to have the spirit of compassion when approaching this issue.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695253048,00.html

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8258646
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Marlin K. Jensen urges a more thoughtful approach to imigration, pleading with lawmakers to have the spirit of compassion when approaching this issue.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695253048,00.html

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8258646
Impressive.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Impressive.
I find it interesting that Elder Jensen, a Democrat, is the person usually appointed to speak out on political issues. IIRC, he was the one tasked in 1999 with speaking out in support of a statewide gun ban in churches. I'd love to see him in the Q12.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

If I am not mistaken, wasn't there a very similar article a few weeks ago with the same message, but from Elder Ballard?

I am glad the Church is finally getting vocal about this. Hopefully they will continue to get even more vocal.

Snipe is going to crap a brick. His hate license is about to expire.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
If I am not mistaken, wasn't there a very similar article a few weeks ago with the same message, but from Elder Ballard?

I am glad the Church is finally getting vocal about this. Hopefully they will continue to get even more vocal.

Snipe is going to crap a brick. His hate license is about to expire.
The previous article was a second-hand account of a private meeting between the First Presidency and members of the state legislature. This is the first time the church has publicly urged restraint on immigration matters.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:20 AM   #6
TripletDaddy

Quote:
The previous article was a second-hand account of a private meeting between the First Presidency and members of the state legislature. This is the first time the church has publicly urged restraint on immigration matters.
OK. I was almost certain it was similar, but with the clarification, I can appreciate the distinction.

It has already popped up on the other board with the justification that the admonition only applies to the two proposed pieces of legislature. Amazing what lengths some will go to to justify hate.

I am too lazy for that. If someone is close by, I will hate them. But if I don't even know them, why bother?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 02-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
I am too lazy for that. If someone is close by, I will hate them. But if I don't even know them, why bother?
There are a lot of political issues that get me worked up, but immigration just isn't one of them. I understand that it's a problem, but I don't understand the unwillingness to budge by the anti-amnesty folks. Maybe it's because I haven't lived in a border state.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
There are a lot of political issues that get me worked up, but immigration just isn't one of them. I understand that it's a problem, but I don't understand the unwillingness to budge by the anti-amnesty folks. Maybe it's because I haven't lived in a border state.
Xenophobia? Racism? Lack of understanding of the effect on our economy? Could be a number of things.

I would argue that those who live in border states would better understand that anti-amnesty makes no practical sense.

With Elder Jensen now speaking out on the human side, it makes anti-amnesty seem even more petty.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Xenophobia? Racism? Lack of understanding of the effect on our economy? Could be a number of things.

I would argue that those who live in border states would better understand that anti-amnesty makes no practical sense.

With Elder Jensen now speaking out on the human side, it makes anti-amnesty seem even more petty.
I'm glad Elder Jensen is speaking out on the "human side." Be cautious that you're not co-opting his name for your political agenda.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm glad Elder Jensen is speaking out on the "human side." Be cautious that you're not co-opting his name for your political agenda.
What is your intepretation of what Elder Jensen was saying?