cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Just got back from the GBH funeral

We got a call last night from a friend with extra tickets, so we decided to go. And I am glad we did.

On the way in we passed a street preacher, but didn't see the "God hates fags" group from Kansas. As we walked by this guy he shouted to our kids "Don't let your parents lead you to hell! Ask questions." We got a chuckle out of that.

The sights and sounds of the conference center are always awe-inspiring, and today's setting was especially so. Seeing such a large group go completely silent and stand when the prophet's casket was wheeled in was quite touching.

I thought the service was well-done, but I particularly enjoy the talked by Eyring and Monson.

I love the hymn they selected to close the funeral ("My Shepherd Will Supply My Need"). During the hymn, they showed a video montage of the prophet. I felt a strong sense of loss and finality. There was not a dry eye in the crowd. It was as powerful and touching a moment as I can recall.

On the back of the funeral program, they listed three quotes from GBH. The first quote is one of my favorites:

Quote:
We must never adopt a holier-than-thou attitude. We must not be self-righteous. We must be magnanimous and open and friendly. We can keep our faith. We can practice our religion. We can cherish our method of worship without being offensive to others. I take this occasion to plead for a spirit of tolerance and neighborliness, of friendship and love toward those of other faiths.
I am quite sure that the family selected the quotes. That they would select this quote says a lot about them and him. God bless Gordon B. Hinckley.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My problem with that quote is that it goes against my nature to be an unapologetic Mormon, rather than an apologetic Mormon.

I understand that you should be nice, not put others down, but I would have appreciated a little more of "yes, this is what we believe, and we don't apologize for it" when it comes to things related to King Follett discourse for example.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My problem with that quote is that it goes against my nature to be an unapologetic Mormon, rather than an apologetic Mormon.

I understand that you should be nice, not put others down, but I would have appreciated a little more of "yes, this is what we believe, and we don't apologize for it" when it comes to things related to King Follett discourse for example.
Perhaps I am naive, but I like to think that his sentiment and yours can co-exist.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
We got a call last night from a friend with extra tickets, so we decided to go.
KSL reported that no church employees received preferential treatment; rather they claim that all tickets were distributed on a first come, first serve basis, which had people camping out all night. (The Salt Lake Tribune online has a photo gallery).

How did your friend score tickets yesterday? Is his dad a GA?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
KSL reported that no church employees received preferential treatment; rather they claim that all tickets were distributed on a first come, first serve basis, which had people camping out all night. (The Salt Lake Tribune online has a photo gallery).

He works in the church office building in the IT dept.

There were actually plenty of seats. I would estimate that it was 70-80% full.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

A few people on CB who have parents that work for the Church (not GAs) received tickets yesterday.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that's KSL for ya.

I really wanted to attend the viewing and the funeral, but I have no spending money at the moment, and thought, would I really be honoring him by going into debt for this? However, the online feeds of KSL and BYUTV were there every step of the way, showing the procession from the Admin building to the CC, with the members of the Q12 and such in the back hallways, and the procession from the CC to the grave. The helicopter showed people lining the streets waving white handkerchiefs and canes as the hearse drove by.

At the grave, President Monson announced that about 10 years ago President Hinckley received a box full of dirt from the streets in England where he proselytized years ago, and that dirt was laid at the bottom of the hole dug for his grave, resting him in both English and American soil.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I love the hymn they selected to close the funeral ("My Shepherd Will Supply My Need"). During the hymn, they showed a video montage of the prophet. I felt a strong sense of loss and finality. There was not a dry eye in the crowd. It was as powerful and touching a moment as I can recall.
I agree emphatically. I enjoyed the entire service, but didn't have a strong emotional reaction until that beautiful hymn was performed and they broadcast the pictures from President Hinckley's life. Anyone who knew President Hinckley had to have been deeply moved by that moment. For only the second time in his life, my teenaged son saw his father's tears (the first was at the time of my father's death and, interestingly, my father resembled President Hinckley in both appearance and character). Thanks for the report.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:

At the grave, President Monson announced that about 10 years ago President Hinckley received a box full of dirt from the streets in England where he proselytized years ago, and that dirt was laid at the bottom of the hole dug for his grave, resting him in both English and American soil.
That's a really neat sentiment.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote