cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default What stories in Spring ball intrigue you?

Since Spring Ball starts tomorrow I thought it would be fun to take a little break from the drudgery of real life topics in the religion and political categories.

Here are some stories I'd like to see:

** Who'll back up Curtis Brown? Hudson redshirted last year and word is he's got the speed to get to the edge, but is also a good power runner. I wonder if the staff will redshirt Latu this year and give Hudson his shot. Should be interesting to see.

** McKay Jacobsen is the real deal. I'm telling you guys to not be surprised if he wins MWC Newcomer of the Year. He's got the wheels, strength, work ethic, athleticism and everything you need in an impact WR. I really hope to see him returning kicks. If he does, then mark my words for the first time since James Dye,,,maybe Jaron Dabney, then BYU will have a legit threat to take it to the house on KO and PO returns.

** Andrew George. Everyone is saying this guy is just as good if not better than Johnny Harline, and word is he might even be lined up on the outside quite a bit. I'm excited to see what he can do.

** The defense is something that will scare me until I actually see them prove me wrong. I expect them to get worked big time by the offense during Spring Ball, especially while implementing a new scheme.

** Also I'm curious to see if our OL has lost any significant boobage since the end of the season. Watching some of these guys run was down right painful. I almost felt like having a heart attack in lieu of watching them run.

So what about you guys? What intrigues you?

What are some things that you guys will be watching closely.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm rooting for Harline, because of the fact I had the hots for his mom when she was my english teacher. :twisted:
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:10 AM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I definitely want to see how the 3-4 meshes with our talent. I also want to see if we really are upgraded at the corners (I think we almost have to be, because they were the worst I can ever remember).

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What stories in Spring ball intrigue you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
** Also I'm curious to see if our OL has lost any significant boobage since the end of the season. Watching some of these guys run was down right painful. I almost felt like having a heart attack in lieu of watching them run.
The man-boob quotient on our OL is my focus.

The noticeable difference in fitness levels between our OL and the Cal OL in the Las Vegas Bowl was embarrassing.

I don't understand why our guys have to be so fat.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What stories in Spring ball intrigue you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Since Spring Ball starts tomorrow I thought it would be fun to take a little break from the drudgery of real life topics in the religion and political categories.

Here are some stories I'd like to see:

** Who'll back up Curtis Brown? Hudson redshirted last year and word is he's got the speed to get to the edge, but is also a good power runner. I wonder if the staff will redshirt Latu this year and give Hudson his shot. Should be interesting to see.

** McKay Jacobsen is the real deal. I'm telling you guys to not be surprised if he wins MWC Newcomer of the Year. He's got the wheels, strength, work ethic, athleticism and everything you need in an impact WR. I really hope to see him returning kicks. If he does, then mark my words for the first time since James Dye,,,maybe Jaron Dabney, then BYU will have a legit threat to take it to the house on KO and PO returns.

** Andrew George. Everyone is saying this guy is just as good if not better than Johnny Harline, and word is he might even be lined up on the outside quite a bit. I'm excited to see what he can do.
Here is my take, whatever it's worth:

I haven't been impressed at all with Hudson. I would expect the majority of the back-up minutes to come from Fui and see a lot of Tonga and Semanof when they go to the two back set. I wouldn't be surprised to see Latu red shirt this year, but I'm not sure that the minutes will come from Hudson. Semanof won the "strongest guy" award at the football banquet a few weeks ago, which is based on strength v. weight, I believe. Reynolds philosophy is to use two backs, however as to reduce the wear and tear on the lead guy so that he'll be fresher at the end of the season, and I'm great with that. CB is the clear cut #1, and it depends on what type of shape Fui is in. Based on past performance, I'd give the nod to Fui, assuming that he gets healthy by fall camp.

I agree with you on what I've seen from McKay. I don't like to put that much on a freshman, but McKay has an edge because he's here now, which should help him to contribute in the fall. Part of the reason for Collie's success, IMO, was he was here earlier than most freshmen working out with his brother and other members of the team, so they had more confidence in him than they did other freshmen. Hopefully the same can be said for McKay.

Andrew George. He should be good... to say that he's better NOW than Harline is a stretch. Could he become better than Harline? I would certainly say yes. He's shown flashes, signs of potential... but I wouldn't say that he's there yet. He's a little taller than Harline, maybe a little quicker, but he's not as 'thick' yet (which Harline isn't exactly a huge TE). Give him a chance, but his 'unexpected' impact will be similar to that of Harline last spring, IMO.

Defensively, who knows. I've posted a little on the switch, and I think if this allows the best 11 players on the field, I'm okay with it. I think that BYU has a better chance at getting 4 good linebackers than 5 good DBs, so this switch should work out. Again, the philosophy is staying the same, just a change in scheme. So still expect pressure to come, just don't expect it to come from the secondary (which will be a good switch, IMO).
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote