cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boy, C. Hitchens is a douchebag

http://www.slate.com/id/2178568/fr/flyout
Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you disagree with Hitchens' argument, his tone, or both? While Hitchens is more caustic than he needs to be, his point is a valid one. Politicians should be accountable for their religious beliefs and shouldn't be surprised that people want to know exactly what they do and don't believe.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

his point is somewhat valid he just comes across like an asshole
Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Do you disagree with Hitchens' argument, his tone, or both? While Hitchens is more caustic than he needs to be, his point is a valid one. Politicians should be accountable for their religious beliefs and shouldn't be surprised that people want to know exactly what they do and don't believe.
I totally disagree. Religious beliefs are generally out-of-bounds for poltical office, except as it touches governance. Observe:

How does Romney feel about black and racism? Fair question.
Does Romney believe blacks were less valiant in the pre-existence? Out of bounds.
Would Romney consult the church prophet before making an important decision? Fair question.
Was the Garden of Eden in Missouri? Out of bounds.

Now, if Romney makes his beliefs the issue, for example if he went on the stump talking about the Garden of Eden, then it's fair game. Otherwise, I don't see what a man's private religious beliefs have to do with his eligibility for office.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I like a lot of what Hitchens writes, and agree with him sometimes. However, there are some people who, whether you agree with him or not, are very likable. You'd be happy to sit down and have a drink with them.

Hitchens strikes me as the opposite, whether you agree with him or not, he's still an SOB.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
The reality is he does not expect Romney to be accountable for his religous beliefs but rather he expects him to entertain and even defend himself against bigotry ... for that's what it is, and it is born of the marriage of hate and ignorance.

His article is disdain and mockery, not journalism or sincere questioning. Therefore it is not valid.

Last edited by tooblue; 11-26-2007 at 07:15 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
The reality is he does not expect Romney to be accountable for his religous beliefs but rather he expects him to entertain and even defend himself against bigotry ... for that's what it is, and it is born of the marriage of hate and ignorance.

His article is disdain and mockery, not journalism or sincere questioning. Therefore it is not valid.
His article is filled with disdain and mockery, but how can you say his point is not valid? If a candidate claims to receive personal revelation from God, isn't that relevant? Or, if he believes in the eventuality of the Apocalypse, isn't that also relevant? If I'm a bigot for being concerned whether a candidate might make decisions based on his view of God's will, then I'm happy to be a bigot.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Hitchens has said some shockingly stupid things of late, and does seem generally come across as an abrasive person, but religion is absolutely not out of bounds in political discourse so I absolutely agree with him on this. After 7 years of George "God told me to invade Iraq" Bush, religion is a pretty important issue. The problem seems to be that everybody wants to make sure we get yet another president into office that listens to the voices in his head, when what we need is somebody who values reason over superstition.

It'd be fun if this Romney candidacy is what makes the church finally come up with an explanation for its racism, but I don't see it happening.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Hitchens has said some shockingly stupid things of late, and does seem generally come across as an abrasive person, but religion is absolutely not out of bounds in political discourse so I absolutely agree with him on this. After 7 years of George "God told me to invade Iraq" Bush, religion is a pretty important issue. The problem seems to be that everybody wants to make sure we get yet another president into office that listens to the voices in his head, when what we need is somebody who values reason over superstition.
Heh. Sometimes I wonder what it would it be like to take a tour through the weird world you live in, woot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
It'd be fun if this Romney candidacy is what makes the church finally come up with an explanation for its racism, but I don't see it happening.
In the event of a Romney candidancy, I envision the church going completely mute on all related issues, except to say that they are not taking sides.

In fact, I think someone else around here correctly observed that were Romney to actually be elected, the church would move into a period of unprecedented non-participation in politics of any kind.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Heh. Sometimes I wonder what it would it be like to take a tour through the weird world you live in, woot.
How stupid of you to say. Do you have any actual disagreement or were you just looking to insult me?
woot is offline   Reply With Quote