cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 03:11 AM   #1
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road
Default I live in Anti-Intellectual, USA

Seriously, I don't know when there's a week in gospel doctrine where somebody goes off on some tangent about how the learned will never come to learn the truth of the gospel. Another popular soapbox is that intellect gets in the way of faith, or more specifically that those who question the truth of the gospel do not have perfect faith.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:17 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
Seriously, I don't know when there's a week in gospel doctrine where somebody goes off on some tangent about how the learned will never come to learn the truth of the gospel. Another popular soapbox is that intellect gets in the way of faith, or more specifically that those who question the truth of the gospel do not have perfect faith.
Not all in Utah County are like that. Just most of them.

Perhaps you could start attending Jeff Lebowski's ward.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:23 AM   #3
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Not all in Utah County are like that. Just most of them.

Perhaps you could start attending Jeff Lebowski's ward.
What? There actually are some open-minded people in Utah County? I can't say that everybody is terrible that way, but those who are are very vocal about it. I'm very seriously considering going to gospel principles just to escape it. Neither of our gospel doctrine teachers are very good at directing a meaningful discussion, either, so our lessons every week are essential "The Gospel According to So-and-So."
Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
What? There actually are some open-minded people in Utah County? I can't say that everybody is terrible that way, but those who are are very vocal about it. I'm very seriously considering going to gospel principles just to escape it. Neither of our gospel doctrine teachers are very good at directing a meaningful discussion, either, so our lessons every week are essential "The Gospel According to So-and-So."
You have a lot to learn about being active in the LDS Church in Utah.

Unless you have a calling that doesn't allow it, you skip Sunday School and go home and eat something.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #5
Mrs. Funk

Quote:

Unless you have a calling that doesn't allow it, you skip Sunday School and go home and eat something.
Unfortunately, yesterday was fast Sunday. But is that also part of being active in Utah? How many meals do you have to skip for it to count? Does skipping your mid-morning snack count?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

In my last ward, I knew some people that did this but not very many. In my ward now, I didn't understand why so few people were in Gospel Doctrine. Over time I realized seriously over half the people without Primary or SS callings were going home during SS. Honestly it was surprising to me.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Unfortunately, yesterday was fast Sunday. But is that also part of being active in Utah? How many meals do you have to skip for it to count? Does skipping your mid-morning snack count?
Fast Sunday can be tricky. There are 2 schools of thought when it comes to fasting:

The 24 hour fast.

The 2 meal fast.

I prefer the 2 meal fast. I eat dinner on Saturday, then skip breakfast and lunch on Sunday. And because the generally accepted idea that lunch is at noon and our Sacrament Meeting (which is our first meeting) is from 11:00-12:20, I have technically fasted for both breakfast and lunch when the meeting is over. So running home during Sunday School to eat isn't breaking the fast.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:52 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
In my last ward, I knew some people that did this but not very many. In my ward now, I didn't understand why so few people were in Gospel Doctrine. Over time I realized seriously over half the people without Primary or SS callings were going home during SS. Honestly it was surprising to me.
I was mostly being facetious, but I can honestly say that there are a lot of folks this way, including myself quite often.

Now, if I had a Gospel Doctrine teacher like pelagius (because of his notes each week), it would be a much more compelling reason for me to not skip SS. But I freely admit that that is a cop out on my part. Not finding the desire within myself to not leave during SS is one of my weaknesses that I need to work on.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:53 AM   #9
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I've had so many bishops with major platforms about people staying for the last 2 meetings. One of my singles ward bishops would bring people in for interviews if he found that they were skipping too many meetings and threatened to revoke temple recommends.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:57 AM   #10
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
I was mostly being facetious, but I can honestly say that there are a lot of folks this way, including myself quite often.

Now, if I had a Gospel Doctrine teacher like pelagius (because of his notes each week), it would be a much more compelling reason for me to not skip SS. But I freely admit that that is a cop out on my part. Not finding the desire within myself to not leave during SS is one of my weaknesses that I need to work on.
I do very seriously understand. Funk and I have both tried to direct our discussions in SS to a more erudite conversation about the gospel in order to keep our attention on the lesson but we always get curtailed by our teachers who would rather read cheesy stories completely unrelated to our lesson.

Hooray.