cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 03:05 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trunk or treat

I had my first ever ward trunk or treat experience this year and I came away with the impression that no good can come of this. Not only do kids get two nights of trick or treating, but parents have to double up on candy. Kids don't have to treck miles to fill their bucket, they just take a spin around the church parking lot for a half-hour and they're good to go. I also noticed a ton of teenagers joining in on the Halloween action with no feeling of shame. Seriously, no 17-year old should ever get candy merely because they threw on an afro wig.

Halloween needs to go back to crappy homemade costumes, a badly carved pumpkin on the doorstep, old pillowcases instead of Disney-themed buckets, nobody over 12 getting candy, house-to-house trick or treating, and grownups being annoyed. It's the only way this tradition is tolerable. One 45 year old sister was dressed up as a sexy pirate. My eyes will never forgive me for having exposed them to that.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #2
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate trunk or treating, especially at the ward "Harvest Festival." Because you know that no good Mormon would participate in the Satanic/Pagan holiday that is halloween.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:11 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
I hate trunk or treating, especially at the ward "Harvest Festival." Because you know that no good Mormon would participate in the Satanic/Pagan holiday that is halloween.
Your ward called it a Harvest Festival? Ours called it Halloween. What a stupid exercise in the religious version of PC.

Also, I noticed a ton of kids/teenagers wearing masks. My ward flaunts the rules.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Your ward called it a Harvest Festival? Ours called it Halloween. What a stupid exercise in the religious version of PC.

Also, I noticed a ton of kids/teenagers wearing masks. My ward flaunts the rules.
They must be high off all that delicious Skyline Chili.

I have no idea what part of Ohio you are from, and if that is even served in your area, but man I miss it.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:20 AM   #5
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
Dude, you must be in my ward. Fortunately, I was in SoCal last week and missed the ward "Harvest Festival" and trunk-or-treat. The smoky skies of SoCal were preferable.

Trunk or treat is truly lame, lame, lame. If a parent likes the concept of trunk-or-treat then why not go one better? Why not just go down to Wal-Mart, buy a $10 sack of candy, and just hand it to the kids? The effect is the same and you don't even have to haul the kids over to the church.

The only justification for trunk-or-treat is if one lives in a neighborhood that is simply too dangerous to do regular trick or treating. I don't believe any place in Utah falls in this category so any trunk-or-treat in Utah is just lame, lame, lame.

Did I say it was lame? Well, it is.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:37 AM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the justification for trunk or treat? I just don't get it. Our ward had it friday night and we passed. There must be some reason, but I can't figure it out.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:44 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
What is the justification for trunk or treat? I just don't get it. Our ward had it friday night and we passed. There must be some reason, but I can't figure it out.
The justification is that I don't have to participate and nobody comes to my house to bother me that night.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:49 AM   #8
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The justification is that I don't have to participate and nobody comes to my house to bother me that night.
So what, you put a sign that says you gave at trunk or treat and the kids leave you alone?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:55 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
So what, you put a sign that says you gave at trunk or treat and the kids leave you alone?
No, I mean nobody bothers me the night of Trunk or Treat.

Tonight, I just put a bowl of candy by the front door with a sign that read:

"Take what you want. The faster the candy disappears, the sooner I can turn off the light."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #10
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
No, I mean nobody bothers me the night of Trunk or Treat.

Tonight, I just put a bowl of candy by the front door with a sign that read:

"Take what you want. The faster the candy disappears, the sooner I can turn off the light."
So I take it you didn't wait for the Great Pumpkin with your kids in the pumkin patch this year.