cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is your take on adults leaders and YM

in regard to responsibility for looking after them after a meeting.

Say mutual/BS is on Wed nights. And it is over at 8:30pm. Do you expect the adult leaders to stay with your kids until they are picked up? Let's say the kids are in the habit of playing basketball and otherwise messing around to 9pm. Do you expect the adult leaders to stay until then?

I'm tired of hounding kids to call their parents to pick them up, and then kids not being picked up until after 9pm. (mind you we start at 7pm).

What's your take on this?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

When mutual is over I go home. It is not my job to babysit the YM and make sure they all get home OK.

Then again, all my YM can walk home.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Say mutual/BS is on Wed nights. And it is over at 8:30pm. Do you expect the adult leaders to stay with your kids until they are picked up? Let's say the kids are in the habit of playing basketball and otherwise messing around to 9pm. Do you expect the adult leaders to stay until then?

I'm tired of hounding kids to call their parents to pick them up, and then kids not being picked up until after 9pm. (mind you we start at 7pm).

I'm in YM. We lock the doors and kick everyone out when activity is over and I go home. Some dilly dally around on their way home walking home but since our ward is three small short streets, it's not comparable. Wife got into a bit of trouble in YW when she would do the same and girls wouldn't get home until 11.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Well we can't really kick everyone out and lock the doors because there is anothe ward that is also there. and then there are stake things going on as well. so that is not an option.

I've sent an email to the YM president and 1st counselor saying that I am not satisfied with the situation, and want a policy, so that expectations are clear.

Last night I asked one of the parents "do you have a problem with me going home to my wife and two kids, when it's 9pm, even if you haven't come yet?" What I took away from his reply was that yes, he didn't think it was appropriate for me to leave, but that he would try to make it before 9pm.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:

I don't really think it should be your job to stick around. Then again, could you live with yourself if something unfortunate did happen to one of them that you could have prevented if you stuck around? As much as I would hate being stuck there nagging at kids to call, and waiting for flaky parents to show up, I would also never have the guts to leave them there alone.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I don't really think it should be your job to stick around. Then again, could you live with yourself if something unfortunate did happen to one of them that you could have prevented if you stuck around? As much as I would hate being stuck there nagging at kids to call, and waiting for flaky parents to show up, I would also never have the guts to leave them there alone.
Maybe I could blame the parents. For not being there.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, my ward situation is more similar to yours. Nobody can walk home for one thing. When I was in YM I did not feel comfortable leaving kids at the building. I asked parents to please be on time, and for the most part they were. Certain parents were habitually late and I would have to give reminders but again, for the most part people respected my time.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm fine with giving rides to kids that are reasonably on my way home. I am less fine with giving rides that take me in the opposite direction.

But some tell me it is against church policy for a lone adult leader to take a boy or girl home.

So what would be your deadline time to tell the parents to be there by? say you are done at 8:30.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm fine with giving rides to kids that are reasonably on my way home. I am less fine with giving rides that take me in the opposite direction.

But some tell me it is against church policy for a lone adult leader to take a boy or girl home.

So what would be your deadline time to tell the parents to be there by? say you are done at 8:30.
We were done at 8:30, and I told them I wanted them there as we finished up. There was one family who used this policy to try and get me to drive their kids home each week by coming late. This took me quite a ways out of the way and so I had to call them on it. Luckily, it worked.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

It really is easy being a Mormon in Utah. I don't drive more than five minutes to take my kids anywhere--school, sports, dance, church, friends house. I couldn't handle even driving my own kids 20 minutes to a church activity, let alone go out of my way 20 minutes to take another kid home.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote