cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Elder Worthlin had Locked Knees

I don't think this has been posted, but here's a little explanation for why Elder Worthlin was shaking. Apparently, he had locked knees and nothing health related...according to his son, "He's as healthy as a 90 year old can be."

As an aside, I thought that one of the more moving moments of conference was when Elder Nelson walked up to help steady Elder Worthlin...especially during a talk on charity...it was a really neat moment, IMO.

Here's a link to the story:

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695217562,00.html
Old 10-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

At least he didn't fall over backwards, like Howard W. Hunter did around 20 years ago.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Having your knees unlocked would be more tiring than having them locked. It's just like doing a bench press. Having your arms perfectly straight is less tiring than having a slight angle if holding the weight in the air. Locked knees however can lead to fainting.

Sorry, this feels like a pseudo-explanation.

The real answer is likely that he is just old and weak and standing for that length of time is just difficult.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

The real answer is likely that he is just old and weak and standing for that length of time is just difficult.
Which is why is son said, "He's as healthy as any 90 year old can expect to be."

A while ago, when I was in the singles ward out here, we actually had a girl have her knees lock and she passed out...it's a very tricky move just to get out of a talk.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Which is why is son said, "He's as healthy as any 90 year old can expect to be."

A while ago, when I was in the singles ward out here, we actually had a girl have her knees lock and she passed out...it's a very tricky move just to get out of a talk.
I have two grandparents in their 90s. It wasn't that long ago that my grandmother was still riding her bike.

Sorry, doesn't pass the sniff test, if "expect to be" means "healthy as possible for his age."

What's so darned wrong about our apostles being old and frail, etc? Why did people insist that ETB still had his faculties? This feels like a minor version of the same thing.

The guy is getting old and weak. It's like the son is saying he sprained his ankle up there. It was just bad luck, etc.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
I have two grandparents in their 90s. It wasn't that long ago that my grandmother was still riding her bike.

Sorry, doesn't pass the sniff test, if "expect to be" means "healthy as possible for his age."

What's so darned wrong about our apostles being old and frail, etc? Why did people insist that ETB still had his faculties? This feels like a minor version of the same thing.

The guy is getting old and weak. It's like the son is saying he sprained his ankle up there. It was just bad luck, etc.
You might be reading into this a little too much...I don't know. Perhaps when pressed as to why Worthlin was shaking, his son felt that he needed to state that his dad was healthy and that it was just a random act. Who knows...it was still a moving moment I thought.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Why was the article from the perspective of the son, and not the perspective of the person who actually experienced the event?

Looking back, it's kind of telling that it was never ETB telling us that his faculties were just fine. It was always other people.

I'm perfectly accepting of the fact that apostles get old and die, and experience all manners of infirmeries (including mental) along the way. I hope Wirthlin is doing well.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Why was the article from the perspective of the son, and not the perspective of the person who actually experienced the event?

Looking back, it's kind of telling that it was never ETB telling us that his faculties were just fine. It was always other people.

I'm perfectly accepting of the fact that apostles get old and die, and experience all manners of infirmeries (including mental) along the way. I hope Wirthlin is doing well.
Now that you mention it...It doesn't seem like any of the apostles are made available for comment after conference. Interesting.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Now that you mention it...It doesn't seem like any of the apostles are made available for comment after conference. Interesting.
They just spoke for 10 hours, and we complained about how long it was. Now you want them to talk MORE?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
They just spoke for 10 hours, and we complained about how long it was. Now you want them to talk MORE?
lol...no...just wondering why they wouldn't be available for media interviews... you know:

"President Hinckley, looked like things got a little sluggish there in the morning session, do you attribute that to fatigue? Age?"

"Well, it's obvious that these guys weren't prepared, and that's something that we need to work on moving forward for next general conference."

"Any regrets about the Beck talk?"

"Well, we just all need to get on the same page and find some consistancy...we'll get those things work out...she is new to the system we run here and I am confident that with some time and practice, she'll improve."