cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default LDS racism/LDS sexism

After the NRA the LDS church may be the most powerful monolithic organization representing socially conservative interests in the United States (small wonder the symbiosis between it and the troubled BSA). Like all religions, the LDS Church is a time capsule of the age and place in which it was born. (Ultimately, this may be the most interesting thing about religion, its place as a window to our past.) For better and worse, the LDS Church has been, at its core, a mosaic of nineteenth century America's values, beliefs and superstitions. Racism was a stain that marked nineteenth and twentieth American culture, especially in the hinterlands. We fought a terrible civil war and have endured civil strife in our major cities over racism. Likewise, Mormon theology and culture has been marked by the ugly stain of racism. Folks engage in silly sophistry distinguishing between the priesthood ban as "doctrine" (as if the LDS Church had any coherent and definitive statement of doctrine any place) or "policy," but there remain racist passages in the Book of Mormon as well as the Pearl of Great Price. One would hope that one day these will be expunged. So you see, the racism has been there from the beginning, and Mormonism's institutional racism and apartheid have been emblematic of such evils in our larger culture, just as Mormonism's virtues have been emblematic of many of greater American culture's virtues.

So it should make sense that the LDS Church is a profoundly sexist organization. The sexism goes hand in hand with the racism. Like racism and polygamy, sexism is a vestige of dark, primitive times. I hope the beacon of enlightenment will continue to shine ever brighter in America, inexorably forcing the LDS Church to amend those of its values that are backward and wrong. As we've seen since last Sunday, re-affirming those backward views from the highest pulpit will not tame the disenchanted. Maybe future generations will argue about whether Sister Beck's dogma was "doctrine" or "policy."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
After the NRA the LDS church may be the most powerful monolithic organization representing socially conservative interests in the United States (small wonder the symbiosis between it and the troubled BSA). Like all religions, the LDS Church is a time capsule of the age and place in which it was born. (Ultimately, this may be the most interesting thing about religion, its place as a window to our past.) For better and worse, the LDS Church has been, at its core, a mosaic of nineteenth century America's values, beliefs and superstitions. Racism was a stain that marked nineteenth and twentieth American culture, especially in the hinterlands. We fought a terrible civil war and have endured civil strife in our major cities over racism. Likewise, Mormon theology and culture has been marked by the ugly stain of racism. Folks engage in silly sophistry distinguishing between the priesthood ban as "doctrine" (as if the LDS Church had any coherent and definitive statement of doctrine any place) or "policy," but there remain racist passages in the Book of Mormon as well as the Pearl of Great Price. One would hope that one day these will be expunged. So you see, the racism has been there from the beginning, and Mormonism's institutional racism and apartheid have been emblematic of such evils in our larger culture, just as Mormonism's virtues have been emblematic of many of greater American culture's virtues.

So it should make sense that the LDS Church is a profoundly sexist organization. The sexism goes hand in hand with the racism. Like racism and polygamy, sexism is a vestige of dark, primitive times. I hope the beacon of enlightenment will continue to shine ever brighter in America, inexorably forcing the LDS Church to amend those of its values that are backward and wrong. As we've seen since last Sunday, re-affirming those backward views from the highest pulpit will not tame the disenchanted. Maybe future generations will argue about whether Sister Beck's dogma was "doctrine" or "policy."

Well stated.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

I agree with everything that you say.

The argument regarding policy v. doctrine is really just a matter of semantics, and doesn't change the fact that the discriminatory and apartheid like practice occurred. It also doesn't change the fact that our canon of scripture contains language that espouses inferiority of races.

It seems like the church wants to rest its laurels on the fact that the practice ended in 1978 and not discuss or address the issue any further. It is the same with polygamy. Perhaps we are heading the same direction with the women's rights and women's role issue.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Since I didn't make anyones list as one of the intellectuals on the board, I may be missing your point because you are talking over my head.

Note: This will be a general statement. Please do not pull out examples where the general rule doesn't apply to discount what I will say.

If I believe women are different and perform functions better and not as well as men. If I believe we have different roles to play. Am I a sexist.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Since I didn't make anyones list as one of the intellectuals on the board, I may be missing your point because you are talking over my head.

Note: This will be a general statement. Please do not pull out examples where the general rule doesn't apply to discount what I will say.

If I believe women are different and perform functions better and not as well as men. If I believe we have different roles to play. Am I a sexist.
Sexism may be a more nuanced, in a sense a less black and white problem to tackle, than racism.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

You're one of the Quorum of Sages, friend, you missed that as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You're one of the Quorum of Sages, friend, you missed that as well.
Sage is just a nice term for a wrinked old fart.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Sage is just a nice term for a wrinked old fart.

I love it when I can say. Indy, I agree with you.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The main problem is that in America the older you are, the more likely you are to be racist or sexist, no matter your religion. My grandparents (not LDS) were terribly racist. Parents only slightly racist. My kids generation will be the best yet.

LDS church culture is slow to change and more than any culture or organization in the world, possibly, it is dominated by old people. The average age of conference talk givers was probably in the 70's.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The main problem is that in America the older you are, the more likely you are to be racist or sexist, no matter your religion. My grandparents (not LDS) were terribly racist. Parents only slightly racist. My kids generation will be the best yet.

LDS church culture is slow to change and more than any culture or organization in the world, possibly, it is dominated by old people. The average age of conference talk givers was probably in the 70's.
this is why you can't post on CB anymore. They realize you often speak poorly of the GA's.