cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default Hillary will win

It pains me to say this, but I think it'll happen, even though she's hated by so many voters (myself included). For two reasons:

1. She'll get the most favorable press coverage of any candidate in the history of the republic. They'll slowly weaken people's resistance.

2. The GOP candidates are weak.

Let's face it, Romney can't win - he's a Mormon and is considered a flip-flopper (not necessarily undeserved either).

Rudy just has too much family baggage, plus it's hard for die hard 2nd ammendment types to get behind him.

McCain is too old and for some reason isn't getting the favorable press coverage he got in 2000. Maybe it's his stance on Iraq.

Thompson - just not seeing it. The whole thing with his cleavaged "trophy wife" just seems un-Presidential.

I pray I'm wrong and I'll throw my full support behind behind the GOP nominee, but I'm not very optimistic.

Problem is, unlike liberals, we have no safety-valve country to flee to. I guess I'll focus on my bunker and building up my ammo cache.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think she will win because she is a Democrat and she'll do something idiotic to torpedo her own campaign. This is where a blowhard like Rush Limbaugh can help. He'll keep harping on something she did and she'll eventually fight back and say something from which she won't recover.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
She'll get the most favorable press coverage of any candidate in the history of the republic. They'll slowly weaken people's resistance.
Isn't that what they predicted of Ferraro?

Quote:
Rudy just has too much family baggage, plus it's hard for die hard 2nd ammendment types to get behind him.
Isn't that what they predicted of Kerry? Dude came within a hair of winning the thing.

I don't mean to bag on your comments or infer they are generalizations, but rather I feel the American public has a history of being notoriously unpredictable. Many felt the Lewinsky scandal and impeachment would ruin Clinton, but instead he saw the highest approval ratings of his tenure.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It pains me to say this, but I think it'll happen, even though she's hated by so many voters (myself included). For two reasons:

1. She'll get the most favorable press coverage of any candidate in the history of the republic. They'll slowly weaken people's resistance.

2. The GOP candidates are weak.

Let's face it, Romney can't win - he's a Mormon and is considered a flip-flopper (not necessarily undeserved either).

McCain is too old and for some reason isn't getting the favorable press coverage he got in 2000. Maybe it's his stance on Iraq.

Thompson - just not seeing it. The whole thing with his cleavaged "trophy wife" just seems un-Presidential.

I pray I'm wrong and I'll throw my full support behind behind the GOP nominee, but I'm not very optimistic.

Problem is, unlike liberals, we have no safety-valve country to flee to. I guess I'll focus on my bunker and building up my ammo cache.
I hate you if you're right.

This will be the most miserable period of my life with her policies running amok.

Thanks for ruining my day. We can always hope a piano will fall upon her head.

I suppose we should consult our smart financial advisors how to handle periods with extreme taxation, no economic growth and over regulation of business.

What are the best investments? Tax free municipals? Tax havens in Monaco?

I fear we are in for eight years of famine in the land. And I didn't do a good job of saving for the famine. This is truly the most depressing thought. I may need to get some meds.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Isn't that what they predicted of Ferraro?
Apples to oranges. She was a VP candidate and her running mate looked like a weasel. If Hillary was running against Reagan, she'd get spanked, the fawning press coverage only goes so far.

Quote:
Isn't that what they predicted of Kerry? Dude came within a hair of winning the thing.
Giuliani's stance on the 2nd ammendment would suppress turnout of the conservative republican base. Kerry's stance was largely irrelevant as far as his base went.

Quote:
I don't mean to bag on your comments or infer they are generalizations, but rather I feel the American public has a history of being notoriously unpredictable. Many felt the Lewinsky scandal and impeachment would ruin Clinton, but instead he saw the highest approval ratings of his tenure.
Feel free to bag and convince me that I'm wrong. Of course you're right about the unpredictable nature of the American people. This is just my gut feel right now. Hopefully things will change.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I think you are right. Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton we look like a freakin third world country where two families control everything.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Of courese there's plenty of time for things to change with the Presidential election, but there's more at stake than just the executive branch. If Senator Clinton is elected, who has the balance of power in the legislature will be huge.

Forgive me for stating the obvious!
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeb Bush in 2016, anyone? Chelsea in 2024?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Of courese there's plenty of time for things to change with the Presidential election, but there's more at stake than just the executive branch. If Senator Clinton is elected, who has the balance of power in the legislature will be huge.

Do you wish to force me into a interminable state of complete depression? To imagine the latter half of my life beset by persons completely indifferent to the economy and those who work to provide capital is disappointing beyond measure.

China is looking better day after day.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

And there's also the whole supreme court dealio.