cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road
Default Seeking Perfection - A Double Edged Sword?

So I return from the excitement of working in Paris to face the familiar routines and find that each member of our Stake has been challenged to live a "life of perfection" for the next three months.

The objectives include 100% HT and VT, temple attendance, service and strict abstinence from every conceivable vice (including my beloved Diet Coke).

Since absolute perfection is both unattainable and unsustainable, are we being set up for failure accompanied by a heavy dose of Mormon guilt? There is already enough pressure to be obedient and I thought the atonement comes into play after "all that we can do".

Is this a worthwhile effort? What are the expected psychological effects of inevitable failure?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
So I return from the excitement of working in Paris to face the familiar routines and find that each member of our Stake has been challenged to live a "life of perfection" for the next three months.

The objectives include 100% HT and VT, temple attendance, service and strict abstinence from every conceivable vice (including my beloved Diet Coke).

Since absolute perfection is both unattainable and unsustainable, are we being set up for failure accompanied by a heavy dose of Mormon guilt? There is already enough pressure to be obedient and I thought the atonement comes into play after "all that we can do".

Is this a worthwhile effort? What are the expected psychological effects of inevitable failure?
If, when people do not achieve it, there is a hidden lesson about the atonement making up for our shortcomings, then I suppose it's a clever undertaking. Otherwise, I can't see how such a thing is helpful.

I have never been one to believe in the 100% home teaching mantra.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

perfect in what? your job? in your social life? in religious duties? in checking off to-do boxes in your LDS mental franklin planner?

sometimes balance in life precludes checking off everything in the LDS planner.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

How does a God justify commanding "be ye therefore 15% perfect"?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I like the example (sorry to bring up Robinson again) of the weight lifting spotter.

When you work out, your spotter will push you to the limit. Making you go further than you thought you could go. "One more, come on, push it!" Now if you fail to push up that last rep or one more beyond that, does that make you a failure? No, the test was designed to push you to the limit. Should you feel guilty for it? No. Was it unfair to ask you to go for ten when all you could do was eight? No.

Malachi 3:2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who
shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire,
and like fullers' soap:

Malachi 3:3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of
silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as
gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in
righteousness.

The way to look at a task like this is not as a pass/fail for your worthiness. You're worthy because you entered the covenant of Christ and make effort to exercise faith and repent of your sins. You inherit Christ's worthiness. Worthiness is no longer an issue. The way to look at is as an exercise to push you to become more like Christ because you want to as his disciple.

The motivation is the key here, to me.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
sometimes balance in life precludes checking off everything in the LDS planner.
Well said. In that spirit I just poured a cold DC. Seriously, in your professional opinion do you believe that emphasis on total obedience can be the cause of emotional distress?

Last edited by Requiem; 09-12-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well said. In that spirit I just poured a cold DC. Seriously, in your professional opinion do you believe that emphasis on total obedeince can be the cause of emotional distress?
Only if you don't believe in the Atonement and the power of repentance.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
There are peer influence issues with relationship with others in the ward and bishop and other leaders that can have an effect on someone like Reqium's sanity, even if she herself had peace with her life due to understanding of atonement and repentance.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
There are deeper implications. We are essentially a works-based faith with very high expectations and standards (e.g. your "Be ye therefore perfect" reference). Failure to meet those expectations can be a source of guilt and a loss of self-esteem. I have seen too many examples of discouragement and depression stemming from not meeting unrealistic standards of perfection. I also agree with Tex's comment re: 100% HT and VT. Realistically this means the RS and EQ Presidencies end up filling the void and the recipients clearly understand it is a matter of quantity over quality.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This entire thread/post/line of thinking supports Goatnapper's Categorical Emperitive #1: France makes pussies of us all.

Buck up young lady. The doctrine in the scriptures is clear, we must become perfect. I don't think there is anything wrong with emphasizing the expectation from LDS leaders. Certainly there is plenty of emphasis on the atonement and it is made clear that nobody can attain perfection without it. So enjoy your diet coke and continue to do all that you can do.

My honest opinion is there must be balance between these two concepts, perhaps Elder Boyd K. Packer could do a short story illustrating the law of mercy versus justice. Methinks an olden days wheat farmer could be the main actor....I think that whenever a talk at Church or an initiative from leaders come that emphasizes one side of the perfection equation it is not neccesarily deemphasizing the other. I think folks often read that part into it and IMO there is no reason to do so. But I really dislike the french, collectively not individually of course.