cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's time to end the insanity of "thee" "thine" "thou"

and all that poppycock.

We are taught, from a young age, that the purpose of using this language in prayer is to show "respect" for our Heavenly Father.

However the original purpose was to convey intimacy--that is you used the language that you would use for a family member which was "thee" "thine" "thou".

So now the language is being used for the EXACT OPPOSITE reason that it was first used. We now use it to DISTANCE ourselves from God.

The best prayer is the honest unadorned prayer. This language is an impediment.

I will never instruct another person to use this language in prayer.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and all that poppycock.

We are taught, from a young age, that the purpose of using this language in prayer is to show "respect" for our Heavenly Father.

However the original purpose was to convey intimacy--that is you used the language that you would use for a family member which was "thee" "thine" "thou".

So now the language is being used for the EXACT OPPOSITE reason that it was first used. We now use it to DISTANCE ourselves from God.

I dissagree. I think it shows a level of respect. If you only speak this way to God, then it shows humility. Did you ever read the literature given to you in the MTC on this very subject? If so, do you dissagree? I always found it very appropriate to speak to God in a different tone, than when addressing my fellow man.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
I dissagree. I think it shows a level of respect. If you only speak this way to God, then it shows humility. Did you ever read the literature given to you in the MTC on this very subject? If so, do you dissagree? I always found it very appropriate to speak to God in a different tone, than when addressing my fellow man.
Do you address your own earthy father in a very formal way in order to show him respect? Or do you use the language that is most familiar and intimate?

Of course you use the language that is most familiar and intimate. Because that's how you convey your love.

Love & Intimacy >>>>> formalized respect.

God is not a distant being to be respected. He is your Father and an intimate confidant.

And this thee/thine business is Pharisaical.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you address your own earthy father in a very formal way in order to show him respect? Or do you use the language that is most familiar and intimate?

Of course you use the language that is most familiar and intimate. Because that's how you convey your love.

Love & Intimacy >>>>> formalized respect.

God is not a distant being to be respected. He is your Father and an intimate confidant.

And this thee/thine business is Pharisaical.
I understand the point. Then again, sometimes I don't show the level of respect to my earthly father that he deserves. We have been in lots of fights, and cussing matches. Never really had one of those with God.

I guess I have always tried to communicate with God in a very respectful way, because I am trying so hard to open those lines of communication. When I pray, I really want the spirit to be there to direct my prays, and by speaking respectfully I feel it more. Maybe I am tricking myself. Who knows!
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
I understand the point. Then again, sometimes I don't show the level of respect to my earthly father that he deserves. We have been in lots of fights, and cussing matches. Never really had one of those with God.

I guess I have always tried to communicate with God in a very respectful way, because I am trying so hard to open those lines of communication. When I pray, I really want the spirit to be there to direct my prays, and by speaking respectfully I feel it more. Maybe I am tricking myself. Who knows!
change to what I am suggesting and report back whether things got better or worse or stayed the same.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe God doesn't care how we address him, just so long as we do address him sincerely. He knows our intent and that's all that really matters.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
and all that poppycock.

Isn't it similarly odd that the Book of Mormon is written in a kind of pseudo old english?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Isn't it similarly odd that the Book of Mormon is written in a kind of pseudo old english?
t/j
Old 09-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
and all that poppycock.

Dallin Oaks clarified all this in a talk in the mid-90's on the Language of Prayer. He referred to the words' roots as being the familiar, colloquial form and embraced them as serving that purpose.

He made it clear that God hears all honest prayers, regardless of their phraseology, and that people unfamiliar with the proper language should not be made to feel ashamed because of it. But he also indicated that as we mature in gospel understanding, there is an expectation that we use the appropriate terms as we have been taught.

http://lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/me...____&hideNav=1
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Dallin Oaks clarified all this in a talk in the mid-90's on the Language of Prayer. He referred to the words' roots as being the familiar, colloquial form and embraced them as serving that purpose.

He made it clear that God hears all honest prayers, regardless of their phraseology, and that people unfamiliar with the proper language should not be made to feel ashamed because of it. But he also indicated that as we mature in gospel understanding, there is an expectation that we use the appropriate terms as we have been taught.

http://lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/me...____&hideNav=1
This is akin to someone from the IRS justifying the convoluted tax code.

I'm an American who speaks American English, and I am used to use non-American English in prayer, because why? Because they are familiar and colloquial?

LOLOLOL.

It will probably take another generation to root this out.