cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the MWC is doomed without BYU

I give up... Jay santos you win....

The MWC will lose too much if BYU goes independent. BYU and the hordes of people going to away games would be too much of a blow to this conference. I speak for the rest of the MWC when I say you guys are too much to lose. This conference would never recover without you and your legion of attendees.

Please reconsider about going Independent... for the sake of your conference brethren... Its what Christ would do
Old 08-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
I give up... Jay santos you win....

The MWC will lose too much if BYU goes independent. BYU and the hordes of people going to away games would be too much of a blow to this conference. I speak for the rest of the MWC when I say you guys are too much to lose. This conference would never recover without you and your legion of attendees.

Please reconsider about going Independent... for the sake of your conference brethren... Its what Christ would do
This is a classic case of littlebrotheritis.

I said none of the above. I haven't even said it would be a good idea to leave the MWC.

About independence I have asserted:
  • that it would make sense financially for football--mainly due to the pittance that we currently receive from MWC
  • that we could fairly easily build a stronger, more interesting schedule with 7 home games per year, though it might not be balanced the way you want, i.e. front loaded
As a subset of that second item you and funk seem to take it personally that we'd be able to schedule teams to play us. We've never ever had a problem scheduling, and I wonder why this is such a troubling concept for you.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

I said none of the above. I haven't even said it would be a good idea to leave the MWC.

• that it would make sense financially for football--mainly due to the pittance that we currently receive from MWC
  • that we could fairly easily build a stronger, more interesting schedule with 7 home games per year, though it might not be balanced the way you want, i.e. front loaded
As a subset of that second item you and funk seem to take it personally that we'd be able to schedule teams to play us. We've never ever had a problem scheduling, and I wonder why this is such a troubling concept for you.

Dude - you refer too much to this "little brother" thing when ute fans comment on your holier-than-thou zoob attitude. It is really pathetic.

Seriously, dude --- BYU is not Notre Dame, and never will be, even if they go independent.

Now, feel free to comment on how I must have little brother-itis b/c I get annoyed by a cougar fan who thinks his program is in the ranks of Notre Dame in terms of marketability.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
Dude - you refer too much to this "little brother" thing when ute fans comment on your holier-than-thou zoob attitude. It is really pathetic.

Seriously, dude --- BYU is not Notre Dame, and never will be, even if they go independent.

Now, feel free to comment on how I must have little brother-itis b/c I get annoyed by a cougar fan who thinks his program is in the ranks of Notre Dame in terms of marketability.
geez, yesterday i said you ute fans on this board were mostly decent guys. you're going to make me take it back.

seriously, you guys are having some very strange reactions to me saying byu could recoup the lost $2M (say it in your dr evil voice to realize how little it is) from leaving the mwc.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Your assertions have no basis. You keep saying financially it would be better, but provide no proof. Until you provide some assumptions based in reality we will continue to think you are Tattoo from fantasy island.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
Your assertions have no basis. You keep saying financially it would be better, but provide no proof. Until you provide some assumptions based in reality we will continue to think you are Tattoo from fantasy island.

You can poke around here to get an idea of what financials for college programs look like.

http://www2.indystar.com/NCAA_financial_reports/

BYU is private school and doesn't publish theirs, but their total budget is about $20M and you can look at other MWC schools to get an idea of the details.

MWC TV contract is about $1M a year. We made $1M in TV money in the 2000 season playing one game against Florida State. I believe KSL said each game they televised was worth around $250K for them. You can look at TV ratings, total TV viewers, and payouts for bowls to get a better understanding. You can translate this out to $ revenue per person watching the game. Rondo and Val Hale both said they had no trouble scheduling. That they could pick up the phone with any AD in the nation and schedule--nearly every one of them home and homes. The big names on the schedule last ten years and next five years is evidence. Look at how BYU has recently paid non D1A teams to come to BYU to have a one off home game, and how we can afford to do so.

You may not like me, but you won't find anyone that says I don't have credibility when it comes to talking data, stats, numbers, and financials.

I've never said anything remotely outlandish. Only that it would make financial sense to go independent for football.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You can poke around here to get an idea of what financials for college programs look like.

BYU is private school and doesn't publish theirs, but their total budget is about $20M and you can look at other MWC schools to get an idea of the details.

MWC TV contract is about $1M a year. We made $1M in TV money in the 2000 season playing one game against Florida State. I believe KSL said each game they televised was worth around $250K for them. You can look at TV ratings, total TV viewers, and payouts for bowls to get a better understanding. You can translate this out to $ revenue per person watching the game. Rondo and Val Hale both said they had no trouble scheduling. That they could pick up the phone with any AD in the nation and schedule--nearly every one of them home and homes. The big names on the schedule last ten years and next five years is evidence. Look at how BYU has recently paid non D1A teams to come to BYU to have a one off home game, and how we can afford to do so.

You may not like me, but you won't find anyone that says I don't have credibility when it comes to talking data, stats, numbers, and financials.

I've never said anything remotely outlandish. Only that it would make financial sense to go independent for football.
I never said I didn't like you. I don't even know you. I said you are my nemesis. I disagree on most of your arguments. Don't take it personally, this is a message board. Thanks for the data. I am going to create BYU projections as an independent using this as my basis. We will see if I agree with you concerning the financially viability of going independent. Give a few days to respond, as I am swamped at work this weekend. I will get back to you.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

If it makes sense financially why don't they do it? Do they not have financial analysts at byu?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
If it makes sense financially why don't they do it? Do they not have financial analysts at byu?
Obviously there are other concerns other than football financials.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:24 AM   #10
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Sarah Silverman and Tina Fey are considered hot?

I don't even know who the third person is.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote