cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
COUGZ

COUGZ is on a distinguished road
Default Some information on the .MTN/Satellite Situation

Last week I had dinner with one of the people on BYU's athletic council. Very similar to the President's Circle at BYU...

Anyway, of course the topic of conversation was the .MTN and he was very, VERY quick to say that BYU isn't expecting the channel on any satellite provider this year.

The .MTN is negotiating the contract, not Comcast. Apparently, the .MTN owns more shares than Comcast does. They are asking 2.5 times what TNT and TBS are currently getting.

So his comment in the long run.....if you live in Utah and want to watch BYU or Utah play....you had better get Comcast.

Will I be very surprised if in the next 6 weeks something changes? Yes, but at least then I can get rid of Comcast and get more HD channels.
COUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGZ View Post
Last week I had dinner with one of the people on BYU's athletic council. Very similar to the President's Circle at BYU...

Anyway, of course the topic of conversation was the .MTN and he was very, VERY quick to say that BYU isn't expecting the channel on any satellite provider this year.

The .MTN is negotiating the contract, not Comcast. Apparently, the .MTN owns more shares than Comcast does. They are asking 2.5 times what TNT and TBS are currently getting.

So his comment in the long run.....if you live in Utah and want to watch BYU or Utah play....you had better get Comcast.

Will I be very surprised if in the next 6 weeks something changes? Yes, but at least then I can get rid of Comcast and get more HD channels.
There is a lot of this that is either wrong or confused so I don't know if I believe a word of your source. First of all, its The Mtn., not .MTN. The network is a joint venture of CSTV (now wholly owned by CBS) and Comcast. Are you trying to say that CBS has a greater share in the income/profit of The Mtn. so they are calling the shots in the satellite TV negotiations?

I still believe that as long as it is a tool for Comcast to gain market share from satellite TV systems they will drag their feet. Only when believe they've milked enough from their exclusivity will they bend.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
COUGZ

COUGZ is on a distinguished road

Whatever the hell it is called.... the .MTN or the MTN. Or maybe the .mtn in a TNT logo? Does that make you happier? Good, we all agree.

You are welcome to take every word I said with a grain of salt, but if I were to put his name as the source...there isn't a person who is tied to BYU who wouldn't know him instantly.

Either way...it isn't going to happen. And yes, the channel is calling the shots. I'm not trying to say they (CBS) has a bigger stake, they do have a bigger stake.
COUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote