cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #61
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
"I think you've been in the church long enough to know what we mean by that question." I think he was right, and that was the last time I answered a question in that manner.
So, if long-time members have been around "long enough" why not let them complete the interview online? It sounds like every TR interview you are a part of for the remainder of your life will consist of monosyllabic responses.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #62
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I was once asked in an interview by a SP if I "try" to be honest in all my dealings. I questioned him on his use of the word "try". His response, which I completely agree with, is how many of us are absolutely honest in all our dealings with our fellow man?

When your wife asks you "Does this dress make me look fat?", what do you say?

If you're having a crappy day, and someone asks how your day is going, to avoid burdening them with your frustrations or concerns, have you ever said "Oh, just fine".

I've never had a problem giving the nuanced answer to some of the questions and no one has ever had a problem with me giving them. Occasionally it has actually led to some very enlightening and uplifting discussions.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #63
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Just curious, do you think "As best I can" or a similar answer is a perfectly good response only for the honesty question or does it go for the others as well (note I'm just paraphrasing the questions here)?

- Do you keep the word of wisdom? As best I can
- Do you obey the law of chastity? As best I can
- Do you pay a full tithe? I try to
- Do you affiliate with or support any apostate groups? I try not to
- Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel? I've tried to get one
- Do you sustain Gordon B. Hinckley as a prophet, seer, and revelator? As best I can
- Do you sustain your local leaders? I try to
- Do you have a testimony of God the eternal father, his son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost? I've tried to get one
- Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the temple? I think so

I've never heard of someone giving an "As best I can" type of response to any of the others. Why is "as best I can" considered by many people to be an acceptable response for the honesty question but it, or something similar to it, isn't considered acceptable for all the other questions?
Damn I was hoping this would work.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote