cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
fuegote

fuegote
Default USA v Mexico

Those who don't watch soccer are missing out on one of the greater rivalries.

They played a "friendly" yesterday and it was a fun game. They always end up a little chippy. The US walked away with a 2-2 draw but it wasn't deserved.

FYI: World Cup Qualifiying 2010 starts THIS YEAR!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
Those who don't watch soccer are missing out on one of the greater rivalries.

They played a "friendly" yesterday and it was a fun game. They always end up a little chippy. The US walked away with a 2-2 draw but it wasn't deserved.

FYI: World Cup Qualifiying 2010 starts THIS YEAR!
Hold on, didn't deserve it?!?!? We scored a third goal that was called back for what? I still don't get it.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

What amazed me watching that match was how infrequently we possessed the ball. Mexico can hold it forever, rarely making an errant pass. The USA could hardly string together 4 passes before the ball was stolen. I was amazed we were in it as much as we were and really could have won it.

It was fun to see all those young guys on the field. The future looks bright and a bit more "diverse".
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
What amazed me watching that match was how infrequently we possessed the ball. Mexico can hold it forever, rarely making an errant pass. The USA could hardly string together 4 passes before the ball was stolen. I was amazed we were in it as much as we were and really could have won it.

It was fun to see all those young guys on the field. The future looks bright and a bit more "diverse".
I don't understand Americans lack of skills in this department. If you watch youth soccer and the national teams, the kids have improved tremendously, but then you go to THE national team and the players can't compete.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't understand Americans lack of skills in this department. If you watch youth soccer and the national teams, the kids have improved tremendously, but then you go to THE national team and the players can't compete.
But they did compete and they actually never trailed. In fact it was on the set pieces that the US was having the most trouble.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
But they did compete and they actually never trailed. In fact it was on the set pieces that the US was having the most trouble.
Why is that? Didn't seem like Mexico did anything amazing, just straight forward put it in front of the goal. The second goal was a little bit of a fluke.

So why was our third goal not allowed? Also, can't stand seeing so many Mexicans at these matches.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Why is that? Didn't seem like Mexico did anything amazing, just straight forward put it in front of the goal. The second goal was a little bit of a fluke.

So why was our third goal not allowed? Also, can't stand seeing so many Mexicans at these matches.
They called an offsides on the pass in to the goal scorer (already forgot who it was). The flag went up right away but I never heard a whistle and neither did the players. That's why it went on so much longer.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
this has always been an issue for the US national team. 3 or 4 passes in a row is a great accomplishment for them. All the second to third tier international teams are better at it than we are.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
this has always been an issue for the US national team. 3 or 4 passes in a row is a great accomplishment for them. All the second to third tier international teams are better at it than we are.
At the lower levels, the kids work on passing a lot, why isn't it transferring to our national team.

I even watched our U18 team do well in passing.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesn't matter if we can't pass. We are good at the soccer equivalent of the wishbone offense.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote