cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   USA v Mexico (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16590)

fuegote 02-07-2008 01:43 PM

USA v Mexico

Those who don't watch soccer are missing out on one of the greater rivalries.

They played a "friendly" yesterday and it was a fun game. They always end up a little chippy. The US walked away with a 2-2 draw but it wasn't deserved.

FYI: World Cup Qualifiying 2010 starts THIS YEAR!

myboynoah 02-07-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuegote (Post 182479)
Those who don't watch soccer are missing out on one of the greater rivalries.

They played a "friendly" yesterday and it was a fun game. They always end up a little chippy. The US walked away with a 2-2 draw but it wasn't deserved.

FYI: World Cup Qualifiying 2010 starts THIS YEAR!

Hold on, didn't deserve it?!?!? We scored a third goal that was called back for what? I still don't get it.

SteelBlue 02-07-2008 03:07 PM

What amazed me watching that match was how infrequently we possessed the ball. Mexico can hold it forever, rarely making an errant pass. The USA could hardly string together 4 passes before the ball was stolen. I was amazed we were in it as much as we were and really could have won it.

It was fun to see all those young guys on the field. The future looks bright and a bit more "diverse".

Archaea 02-07-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 182507)
What amazed me watching that match was how infrequently we possessed the ball. Mexico can hold it forever, rarely making an errant pass. The USA could hardly string together 4 passes before the ball was stolen. I was amazed we were in it as much as we were and really could have won it.

It was fun to see all those young guys on the field. The future looks bright and a bit more "diverse".

I don't understand Americans lack of skills in this department. If you watch youth soccer and the national teams, the kids have improved tremendously, but then you go to THE national team and the players can't compete.

SteelBlue 02-07-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 182511)
I don't understand Americans lack of skills in this department. If you watch youth soccer and the national teams, the kids have improved tremendously, but then you go to THE national team and the players can't compete.

But they did compete and they actually never trailed. In fact it was on the set pieces that the US was having the most trouble.

myboynoah 02-07-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 182513)
But they did compete and they actually never trailed. In fact it was on the set pieces that the US was having the most trouble.

Why is that? Didn't seem like Mexico did anything amazing, just straight forward put it in front of the goal. The second goal was a little bit of a fluke.

So why was our third goal not allowed? Also, can't stand seeing so many Mexicans at these matches.

SteelBlue 02-07-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 182526)
Why is that? Didn't seem like Mexico did anything amazing, just straight forward put it in front of the goal. The second goal was a little bit of a fluke.

So why was our third goal not allowed? Also, can't stand seeing so many Mexicans at these matches.

They called an offsides on the pass in to the goal scorer (already forgot who it was). The flag went up right away but I never heard a whistle and neither did the players. That's why it went on so much longer.

BlueK 02-07-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 182511)

this has always been an issue for the US national team. 3 or 4 passes in a row is a great accomplishment for them. All the second to third tier international teams are better at it than we are.

Archaea 02-07-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 182555)
this has always been an issue for the US national team. 3 or 4 passes in a row is a great accomplishment for them. All the second to third tier international teams are better at it than we are.

At the lower levels, the kids work on passing a lot, why isn't it transferring to our national team.

I even watched our U18 team do well in passing.

MikeWaters 02-07-2008 04:20 PM

It doesn't matter if we can't pass. We are good at the soccer equivalent of the wishbone offense.