cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #51
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I was thinking TD's avatar is obscene, and was going to lodge a complaint with Waters. I think there's a subtext.

I'd say this speaks volumes.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #52
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
SU, through his CG polls, is on record for not being 100% hetero and for fulfilling ALL his sexual fantasies.
Speaking of subtext, are those Trojans in his avatar?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #53
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Speaking of subtext, are those Trojans in his avatar?
They are Greek phalanxes. The Greeks won, remember?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #54
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Do you feel similarly about prayer? You could say the same thing about prayer. What is the point praying for people in the fires once the fires have burned? Is manna going to fall from heaven?
By fasting and praying for those who had lost their homes, the purpose was so the spirit could touch the heart of the individual and help him to better understand what he could do for the victims?

When a person says, "X is sick, please pray for him," he is not asking you to ask God to heal X; rather he is inviting you to ask God what you can personally do for X?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #55
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
By fasting and praying for those who had lost their homes, the purpose was so the spirit could touch the heart of the individual and help him to better understand what he could do for the victims?

When a person says, "X is sick, please pray for him," he is not asking you to ask God to heal X; rather he is inviting you to ask God what you can personally do for X?
Sorry. Are you asking me these things? Or are you stating them?

if you are asking me, then I would say that you are half right.

If you are stating them, then it is my personal opinion that prayer is also to ask directly for something....heal me, do this, grant me this favor, help a brother out, comfort those victims...it is also definitely to help us internally to know God's will for us. But I strongly believe one of the purposes of prayer is to ask for things--as long as they are in accordance with God's will..not just to ask to know God's will itself.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #56
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
They are Greek phalanxes. The Greeks won, remember?
My Greek is rusty. I am having trouble with the declensions.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 AM   #57
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

I understand going without food and then donating that money to the poor. That is a kind gesture.

The idea that an empty stomach somehow draws us nearer to God seems silly to me. Skipping a few meals doesn't make us humble. Especially when you have a full refrigerator waiting when you are done fasting. Humility may be learned from hardship, but voluntarily missing two meals doesn't qualify as a true hardship, in my opinion.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #58
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
The person that fasted every sunday on mission. White handbook monthly fast generally sufficant and never go beyond 24 hours.
Exactly. No wonder ute4ever's investigators never showed up. In a strange twist, his over fasting actually condemned them to eternity outside of communion with Deity.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #59
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I understand going without food and then donating that money to the poor. That is a kind gesture.

The idea that an empty stomach somehow draws us nearer to God seems silly to me. Skipping a few meals doesn't make us humble. Especially when you have a full refrigerator waiting when you are done fasting. Humility may be learned from hardship, but voluntarily missing two meals doesn't qualify as a true hardship, in my opinion.
I suppose you just don't get it.

Skipping meals doesn't make one humble. Of course, and nobody ever alleged it did.

Depending on your personal nutritional reserves, skipping a few meals will make you hungry, and if you use that hunger to turn you inward, then the fast can do you personally some good. It's not supposed to qualify as a hardship, and it's ludicrous for you to imply such.

I draw it closer to workout analogies. If I warm up before intervals, I do so to warm up the cardiovascular system. Once it's properly revved up, I can force it to do some work, including hard intervals, which will improve the machine.

Medically it is good to clean out the engine by lack of food, and you can feel pangs of hunger by skipping a few meals, especially if you continue in your daily routine. So the key is to use this modest hunger to remind yourself that you do not live by bread alone. [it is not comparable to somebody truly hungry and our fasts are not intended to mock the truly hungry].

Your comparison and analogy is downright silly.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #60
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post

If you had no food it would be called starving, not fasting. Fasting is easier, I think, if you have food than if you don't.