cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #41
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
When my grandmother was dying she was in a lot of pain, and was lingering. So we had a family fast starting Saturday night that she would die quickly. She died late that night. At church the next day my cousin leaned over and asked me "so if you get an early answer to your fast, does that mean you get to stop fasting?" In all seriousness I do think the fast did help hasten her departure. My grandpa (her husband) on the other hand, became ill very shortly after her death. It was clear that he was dying, and he was in an enormous amount of pain. We held another family fast for him to go quickly. He didn't, he lingered for several weeks before he finally died. I really have no idea why he had to endure so much more pain than she did. However, I have my suspicions that there were many family members that were still pretty half-hearted about fasting for his death.

I have fasted for members of my family to be humbled and be given the opportunity to change. I think it's kind of pointless to pray or fast that someone will do something that's still ultimately their decision. IMO, it's more logical to petition for them to be presented with the help and/or a situation they would need to make those changes, and fast for inspiration to do what I can to help them.
Maybe grandpa got sick because your cousin cut the fast short.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #42
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Be grateful for what you have. Are you stating you couldn't donate time?

I haven't done anything so I'm not judging, just asking.
Since I was out of school that week, I had time to follow what was happening on the news. On Monday the city and state were primarily trying to establish a response. They put the city in a state of emergency, which included:
-Stay indoors
-Stay off the roads
-Conserve power
-Stay off the phones

On Tuesday, Qualcomm became a center for refugees and they announced donated items were needed, such as cots and blankets. Service-wise, they asked for medical personnel and teachers.

The next day, they had received so many donations that they asked people to stop donating, and reiterated what they primarily needed were medical personnel and teachers.

I stayed at home, and instead made a small cash donation to those in the ward who purchased things like bottled water to take to Qualcomm. Turns out FEMA and their deep pockets had already brought in several trucks of food and water, and the military was bringing 30,000 cots.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #43
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Meanwhile I still don't see what the special fast was supposed to do. Rain manna from the heavens?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #44
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Meanwhile I still don't see what the special fast was supposed to do. Rain manna from the heavens?
If it tendered some hearts, I'd say it achieved something worthwhile.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #45
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Do you feel similarly about prayer? You could say the same thing about prayer. What is the point praying for people in the fires once the fires have burned? Is manna going to fall from heaven?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #46
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
AMong other things, it was supposed to help those fasting brgin their will in accord with God's so as to act in the manner He would have them act.

Btw, notice the excellent likeness of TripD's avatar to an actual Gibbon, as seen in my avatar? A good choice.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #47
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
AMong other things, it was supposed to help those fasting brgin their will in accord with God's so as to act in the manner He would have them act.

Btw, notice the excellent likeness of TripD's avatar to an actual Gibbon, as seen in my avatar? A good choice.
How do you like Little Jerry Creekster? He is missing the Don King do your gibbon has, but you can see the genetic resemblance.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #48
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post

I was thinking TD's avatar is obscene, and was going to lodge a complaint with Waters. I think there's a subtext.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #49
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I was thinking TD's avatar is obscene, and was going to lodge a complaint with Waters. I think there's a subtext.
Obscene? Mine doesnt have the same homo-erotic, phallic overtures that yours does, but no need to pick on my gibbon.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #50
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Obscene? Mine doesnt have the same homo-erotic, phallic overtures that yours does, but no need to pick on my gibbon.
SU, through his CG polls, is on record for not being 100% hetero and for fulfilling ALL his sexual fantasies.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote