cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 11:44 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I would say so but it's kind of like comparing graphic novels to literature. Yes, they are in different categories. But it's possible to make a value judgment and say that "songs" are inferior to music produced by Gershwin and Stravinsky.
With all due respect, did you read the first part of the thread? Composer v. songwriter was discussed. Requiem settled on Copeland as composer, but the thread is about songwriter.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Though I don't care much for his music, John Mellencamp probably meets the requirements for consideration.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Though I don't care much for his music, John Mellencamp probably meets the requirements for consideration.

Mellencamp is very populist in his approach, but the body of work isn't excellent or enduring enough, IMO, to rank up there with the others, but he is truly American.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:47 AM   #4
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Mellencamp is very populist in his approach, but the body of work isn't excellent or enduring enough, IMO, to rank up there with the others, but he is truly American.
What's the real difference between Springsteen and Mellencamp? IMO it's mainly the area of the country in which their Wal-Mart shopper fanbase was stronger.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What's the real difference between Springsteen and Mellencamp? IMO it's mainly the area of the country in which their Wal-Mart shopper fanbase was stronger.
The difference is people actually remember and respect Springsteen's music.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The difference is people actually remember and respect Springsteen's music.
There are plenty of people who remember and respect Mellencamp. His tours of some of the highest grossing in the world each year. As I said earlier, I'm not really a fan of either of these guys, but I don't think they're all that far apart talent wise. Mellencamp put out his worst music as he broke onto the scene in the early 80's. His music has improved and subsequently become much less popular as he's aged. Springsteen put out good stuff when he was young and then that crap that everyone but me loved in the 80's. If Born in the USA and Glory Days are any better than Jack and Diane and Little Pink Houses, I'd like for somebody to tell me why.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:16 AM   #7
creekster

Quote:
If Born in the USA and Glory Days are any better than Jack and Diane and Little Pink Houses, I'd like for somebody to tell me why.
I think Mellencamp scored well with those two songs. They are light, but they are the American Heartland to the core. WHat of his most recent work are you referring to that you think is superior?

I am not a huge fan of Born in the USA; the synth riff is overplayed and I can barely bear it now. Plus, most poeple completely miss the point of the song (Are you listening, Reaganites?). Even so they are pretty good pop tunes. I donn't think they match the personal intensity of his ealrier and some of his later work, but they are good stuff.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I think Mellencamp scored well with those two songs. They are light, but they are the American Heartland to the core. WHat of his most recent work are you referring to that you think is superior?
Anything he put out past 1990 is better than what he did in the 80's imo, but again, I don't really like his stuff. What I have a difficult time with is seeing much of a difference between the two artists. If anything I'll give Springsteen credit for doing the salt of the earth, stick it to the man, this MY America, the real America routine first. He may have even done it somewhat better, but not much.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:30 AM   #9
creekster

Quote:
Anything he put out past 1990 is better than what he did in the 80's imo, but again, I don't really like his stuff. What I have a difficult time with is seeing much of a difference between the two artists. If anything I'll give Springsteen credit for doing the salt of the earth, stick it to the man, this MY America, the real America routine first. He may have even done it somewhat better, but not much.
Well, I guess that's why it's a horse race.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 AM   #10
SteelBlue

OK, I actually went and looked at concert revenue stats and my claim that JM was actually one of the higher grossing tours in the world is flat out wrong. My bad.