cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Who is the Great American Songwriter? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10868)

MikeWaters 08-13-2007 09:56 PM

Who is the Great American Songwriter?

The person who best embodies the unique American experience through his original music? The person whose ballads define an era?

3 people come to mind off the top of my head.

Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, and Bob Dylan.

creekster 08-13-2007 09:58 PM

Aaron Copeland? Not ballads, but he certainly captuired a slcie of Americana.

MikeWaters 08-13-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 112524)
Aaron Copeland? Not ballads, but he certainly captuired a slcie of Americana.

I'm talking more of a minstrel. The one guy who is the musical experience. not a songwriter in the formal sense (i.e. the person who writes Chicago's hit songs). or a composer/conductor.

creekster 08-13-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 112527)
I'm talking more of a minstrel. The one guy who is the musical experience. not a songwriter in the formal sense (i.e. the person who writes Chicago's hit songs). or a composer/conductor.

How about Woody Guthrie?

Or Hank Williams?

UtahDan 08-13-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 112519)
The person who best embodies the unique American experience through his original music? The person whose ballads define an era?

3 people come to mind off the top of my head.

Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, and Bob Dylan.

I would subtract Springsteen, the other two I agree with. Another angle here is that Dylan and Simon are really very serious poets in their own right as well even if you substract the music.

creekster 08-13-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 112533)
I would subtract Springsteen, the other two I agree with. Another angle here is that Dylan and Simon are really very serious poets in their own right as well even if you substract the music.

What's wriong with Springsteen?

Requiem 08-13-2007 10:09 PM

I take it you mean in addition to Eliza R. Snow?

I make a distinction between songwriters and composers. Great American songwriters would include Irving Berlin, Gershwin, Frederick Loewe, Dylan, Simon, Wilson and Springsteen.

In my humble opinion, Creekster is right on - Copeland is far and away the greatest American composer.

creekster 08-13-2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 112536)
I take it you mean in addition to Eliza R. Snow?

I make a distinction between songwriters and composers. Great American songwriters would include Irving Berlin, Gershwin, Frederick Loewe, Dylan, Simon, Wilson and Springsteen.

In my humble opinion, Creekster is right on - Copeland is far and away the greatest American composer.

I think you may be selling Woody Guthrie a little short in the minstrel area, which is what Waters described. His songs remain evocative of his era and are the aural equivalent of WPA murals for that time period

Jeff Lebowski 08-13-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 112533)

I can't comment on the poetic quality of their work, but I like Springsteen's music better.

Requiem 08-13-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 112542)
I think you may be selling Woody Guthrie a little short in the minstrel area, which is what Waters described. His songs remain evocative of his era and are the aural equivalent of WPA murals for that time period

Agreed - my bad.