cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #11
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is the primary and probably only reason we sometimes wish we lived in Utah. We send our kids up there every summer for a few weeks to hang out with the cousins and they love it. The sense of community that one frequently finds within the bonds of an extended family is a huge benefit for raising kids, I believe.

I can see that. In fact, it's the one thing I'd say we miss out on by not having that. However, I was serious when I used the term co-dependence. In my experience, there are many nuclear families in Utah that could not function without the extended family ... which is a problem IMO.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:51 PM   #12
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
My family doesn't do the emails, but I know exactly what you're talking about. "I just realize that when I'm out serving meals to the homeless and donating blankets and puppies to their children that I need to be just a little bit more humble in my approach."
That is damn funny! I just blew coke (cola not cocaine) out of my nose.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #13
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
That is damn funny! I just blew coke (cola not cocaine) out of my nose.
Right, because the other kind of cokeonly goes IN the nose.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #14
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I can see that. In fact, it's the one thing I'd say we miss out on by not having that. However, I was serious when I used the term co-dependence. In my experience, there are many nuclear families in Utah that could not function without the extended family ... which is a problem IMO.
I like to mock mormon culture almost as much as the next guy, but to some folks there is a self loathing that is perplexing to me.

Similar to SIEQ and all his experiences with poor leaders giving poor guidance concerning chastity, I wonder about these "co-dependence" experiences.

Maybee I am a simpleton, but couldn't it just be that some folks genuinely enjoy being around their extended family because they feel loved and enjoy that bizarre concept of being wanted and appreciated? Could it just be that simple? I have met some wacky families that this "co-dependence" and dysfunctional characterizations would be applicable in many other states than the Lovely Deseret and its expanded borders into SE Idaho, the North Shore of Hawaii, the Moapa Valley of Nevada and Snowflake or Mesa, AZ.

I grew up out in what Mormons call "the mission field" and I absolutely adore my 90% LDS community. Utopia does not exist and every location has its individual drawbacks, but give me 300 unpretentious redneck marginal Danite mormon boys anyday of the week. However, it does help when I am related to 75 or so of those rednecks!

My only issue with the Wasatch front is that there is too many damn people, which I guesss is partially a Mormon thing as our womenfolk squeeze out puppies like it ain't nobodies business. However, I share a similar disdain for New York City, LA, San Diego or just about any community within 10 miles of an interstate.

In fact I tell the missus the time when we get 3 visitors calling in one 7 day window, we are moving farther out into the styx.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:23 AM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
but give me 300 unpretentious redneck marginal Danite mormon boys anyday of the week. However, it does help when I am related to 75 or so of those rednecks!
Only 75? I suppose those come from the immediate family and the other 225 are from the extended family.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is the primary and probably only reason we sometimes wish we lived in Utah. We send our kids up there every summer for a few weeks to hang out with the cousins and they love it. The sense of community that one frequently finds within the bonds of an extended family is a huge benefit for raising kids, I believe.
I bet I could top anyone here in numbers of first cousins with whom I and my children have grown up. My mother had eight siblings, an aunt of hers had 11 children, I came from a family of seven children, my brother has nine children, and there are no families with less than five save my uncle (he is two months older than me) who has three.

My kids seem to love time spent with their cousins and I love each of my nieces and nephews very much. But especially with respect to my daughters, I am not unconflicted about thier time spent with cousins. The aspirations I have for my daughters are not the same as the aspirations their female cousins articulate for themselves. I also find that the parents do not treat or regard their children the same across genders. But the way I see it your kids will get bad influences everywhere and you just have to hope you have done well enough inculcating your values that those will pull through.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 04-05-2007 at 03:40 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I bet I could top anyone here in numbers of first cousins with whom I and my children have grown up. My mother had eight siblings, an of hers aunt had 11 children, I came from a family of seven children, my brother has nine children, and there are no families with less than five save my uncle (he is two months older than me) who has three.

My kids seem to love time spent with their cousins and I love each of my nieces and nephews very much. But especially with respect to my daughters, I am not unconflicted about thier time spent with cousins. The aspirations I have for my daughters are not the same as the aspirations their female cousins articulate for themselves. I also find that the parents do not treat or regard their children the same across genders. But the way I see it your kids will get bad influences everywhere and you just have to hope you have done well enough inculcating your values that those will pull through.
Well said.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Well said.
I have no first cousins, and only three second cousins. I have no extended family, but my kids do now, to a small extent. However, our family is so dysfunctional, family getogethers involves a single family. Nonetheless I appreciate what I have. Whenever Utahns discuss the cousins and life such as it is, I have no idea how it feels to be connected. My experience is that of being an island.