cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Worst part about GC (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7417)

jay santos 04-03-2007 08:33 PM

Worst part about GC

The emails circling around from extended family about how wonderful conference was, examples of how righteous they are, followed by a fake example of how conference helped them see a point they need to repent on, which is so miniscule of an ommission that the admission of a tiny guilt actually turns into another demonstration of exceeding righteousness.

Indy Coug 04-03-2007 08:38 PM

I think this post explains so much about you.

jay santos 04-03-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 69855)
I think this post explains so much about you.

You like those emails?

SteelBlue 04-03-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 69853)
The emails circling around from extended family about how wonderful conference was, examples of how righteous they are, followed by a fake example of how conference helped them see a point they need to repent on, which is so miniscule of an ommission that the admission of a tiny guilt actually turns into another demonstration of exceeding righteousness.

My family doesn't do the emails, but I know exactly what you're talking about. "I just realize that when I'm out serving meals to the homeless and donating blankets and puppies to their children that I need to be just a little bit more humble in my approach."

FMCoug 04-03-2007 09:06 PM

So am I to take from this that there is yet another reason why I should be glad I don't come from one of those big co-dependent Mormon families so prevalent in Utah?

jay santos 04-03-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 69864)
So am I to take from this that there is yet another reason why I should be glad I don't come from one of those big co-dependent Mormon families so prevalent in Utah?

Well there are some redeeming qualities about being from one of those families, too.

Detroitdad 04-03-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 69867)
Well there are some redeeming qualities about being from one of those families, too.

Name some.

jay santos 04-03-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 69869)
Name some.

For as critical I am at some Mormon culture items, I am greatly proud and appreciative of my heritage and the culture and all that it includes. It's a part of me and I'm a part of it and I love it. BYU, Utah (the state not the school), Provo, Utah County, green jello, minivans, cheapness, cheesiness, etc.

Goatnapper'96 04-03-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 69869)
Name some.

I love raising my kids with 15 or so cousins. I think that is a unique and secure way of growing up. But I married into a great clan.

creekster 04-03-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 69879)
I love raising my kids with 15 or so cousins. I think that is a unique and secure way of growing up. But I married into a great clan.

This is the primary and probably only reason we sometimes wish we lived in Utah. We send our kids up there every summer for a few weeks to hang out with the cousins and they love it. The sense of community that one frequently finds within the bonds of an extended family is a huge benefit for raising kids, I believe.