cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Something maybe to consider when

discussing religion here as opposed to other venues.

Quite often I hear the whiny squeel of how "religion is discussed on Cougarguard". Acting like criticizing is tantamount to attending a beer bust.

First off, it is my understanding that non-believers in the Joseph Smith story are allowed onto this site. Is it the feeling that any site that has the Cougar name associated with it or is known to have BYU fans on it, should be devoid of anything that would seem untoward. They all at the very least should be governed as say, Cougarboard is.

For me I know the time and place where things are appropriate. If a lady came up to me in church and said "my wasn't Sister Becks talk wonderful". I would say it sure was, because I am sure it was for her. The ward house isn't a designated place to openly discuss one beliefs. It is a place to try and reaffirm each others beliefs that are in line with general accepted gospel principles and generally accepted cultural principles.

I will admit if the lady then added, "brother BYU71 you need to marry some gal and get her away from a career so she can fulfill what God wants for her", that would be the line I wouldn't let someone cross, church setting or not. I would calmly tell brother so and so to keep his wife away from me. She is making unwanted advances.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
discussing religion here as opposed to other venues.

Quite often I hear the whiny squeel of how "religion is discussed on Cougarguard". Acting like criticizing is tantamount to attending a beer bust.

First off, it is my understanding that non-believers in the Joseph Smith story are allowed onto this site. Is it the feeling that any site that has the Cougar name associated with it or is known to have BYU fans on it, should be devoid of anything that would seem untoward. They all at the very least should be governed as say, Cougarboard is.

For me I know the time and place where things are appropriate. If a lady came up to me in church and said "my wasn't Sister Becks talk wonderful". I would say it sure was, because I am sure it was for her. The ward house isn't a designated place to openly discuss one beliefs. It is a place to try and reaffirm each others beliefs that are in line with general accepted gospel principles and generally accepted cultural principles.

I will admit if the lady then added, "brother BYU71 you need to marry some gal and get her away from a career so she can fulfill what God wants for her", that would be the line I wouldn't let someone cross, church setting or not. I would calmly tell brother so and so to keep his wife away from me. She is making unwanted advances.
Advances are never unwanted.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Advances are never unwanted.
Depends if she's got a rack like the one in 71's avatar or not...
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote