cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Something maybe to consider when (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17358)

BYU71 03-04-2008 09:14 PM

Something maybe to consider when

discussing religion here as opposed to other venues.

Quite often I hear the whiny squeel of how "religion is discussed on Cougarguard". Acting like criticizing is tantamount to attending a beer bust.

First off, it is my understanding that non-believers in the Joseph Smith story are allowed onto this site. Is it the feeling that any site that has the Cougar name associated with it or is known to have BYU fans on it, should be devoid of anything that would seem untoward. They all at the very least should be governed as say, Cougarboard is.

For me I know the time and place where things are appropriate. If a lady came up to me in church and said "my wasn't Sister Becks talk wonderful". I would say it sure was, because I am sure it was for her. The ward house isn't a designated place to openly discuss one beliefs. It is a place to try and reaffirm each others beliefs that are in line with general accepted gospel principles and generally accepted cultural principles.

I will admit if the lady then added, "brother BYU71 you need to marry some gal and get her away from a career so she can fulfill what God wants for her", that would be the line I wouldn't let someone cross, church setting or not. I would calmly tell brother so and so to keep his wife away from me. She is making unwanted advances.

BlueHair 03-04-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 193436)
discussing religion here as opposed to other venues.

Quite often I hear the whiny squeel of how "religion is discussed on Cougarguard". Acting like criticizing is tantamount to attending a beer bust.

First off, it is my understanding that non-believers in the Joseph Smith story are allowed onto this site. Is it the feeling that any site that has the Cougar name associated with it or is known to have BYU fans on it, should be devoid of anything that would seem untoward. They all at the very least should be governed as say, Cougarboard is.

For me I know the time and place where things are appropriate. If a lady came up to me in church and said "my wasn't Sister Becks talk wonderful". I would say it sure was, because I am sure it was for her. The ward house isn't a designated place to openly discuss one beliefs. It is a place to try and reaffirm each others beliefs that are in line with general accepted gospel principles and generally accepted cultural principles.

I will admit if the lady then added, "brother BYU71 you need to marry some gal and get her away from a career so she can fulfill what God wants for her", that would be the line I wouldn't let someone cross, church setting or not. I would calmly tell brother so and so to keep his wife away from me. She is making unwanted advances.

Advances are never unwanted.

Spaz 03-04-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 193442)
Advances are never unwanted.

Depends if she's got a rack like the one in 71's avatar or not...