cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #51
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I've read lots of theories on this. Supposedly there was a vote in general conference during BY's time where the saints agreed that it would be observed as a commandment.

I believe you are correct, but it wasn't until HBJ that it was emphasized and "enforced".
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #52
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What really is the big hang up on it?

It is indisputable that tobacco isn't a benefit for our consumption.

And if others can consume certain portions of the coffees and teas, so what? Are we really so selfish that we're not willing to give up a few things to show some devotion to a cause? There isn't anything I consume that I wouldn't be willing to give up, if I had to.

Many cultures do this. Eastern religions often eschew many substances to show self-discipline and restraint.

What concerns me are those who misunderstand the spirit of the commandment, "do things to keep yourself healthy!" "Here's a health code that will make you healthier!"

If our religion is to cause us to be better, to think better, to treat our felllow men better and to improve our own health, how is it that we can have mullahs who pontificate whether hot chocolate should be included, but at the same time, those persons feel justified in ignoring exercise and being morbidly obese? That is the true irony for me.
You are making my case for me. Yes, the alcohol and tobacco restrictions are plain common sense. As is the general counsel of healthy living. Beyond that (hot drinks, avoid meat, wheat for man, etc...) it gets more fuzzy and yet we draw a hard line (deny baptism and temple recommends) on some things (coffee/tea) and not on others (meat). Yes, it's an easy thing, but it seems odd to make such a life/death issue out of something so seemingly trivial as coffee, especially in light of the spirit in which the original revelation was given. And as you say, there are many other issues which have a greater impact on our health that are not prescribed in the WoW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Any person who doesn't wish to belong to the Church due to our health code will probably stumble upon many other things.
Yes, that may be true. But at the same time, new members and investigators are at the very early stages of their spiritual development and things that seem trivial to you or me may end up being a big deal to them. Seems like a shame to me that we make their entry into the faith more difficult than it perhaps should be.

But hey, what do I know? This is just my personal opinion.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:56 PM   #53
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You are making my case for me. Yes, the alcohol and tobacco restrictions are plain common sense. As is the general counsel of healthy living. Beyond that (hot drinks, avoid meat, wheat for man, etc...) it gets more fuzzy and yet we draw a hard line (deny baptism and temple recommends) on some things (coffee/tea) and not on others (meat). Yes, it's an easy thing, but it seems odd to make such a life/death issue out of something so seemingly trivial as coffee, especially in light of the spirit in which the original revelation was given. And as you say, there are many other issues which have a greater impact on our health that are not prescribed in the WoW.

Yes, that may be true. But at the same time, new members and investigators are at the very early stages of their spiritual development and things that seem trivial to you or me may end up being a big deal to them. Seems like a shame to me that we make their entry into the faith more difficult than it perhaps should be.

But hey, what do I know? This is just my personal opinion.
It does seem to be more than a bit arbitrary that coffee and tea are verboten while other hot drinks and meat are just kind of ignored. Of course, I think that coffee smells like garbage and tastes worse, so I have few hangups.

Some of the research I have seen says that religions that have dietary standards are stronger in the long term than those that don't (in terms of member numbers) because it creates a culture of belonging and differentiation between member or non-member. So I guess these types of quirks are what make us strong?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #54
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
It does seem to be more than a bit arbitrary that coffee and tea are verboten while other hot drinks and meat are just kind of ignored.
When I went to the stake office to have my temple recommend renewed in May, they had a large box of chocolates in the waiting area. I guess the reason the church members today have narrowed the WOW down into two critical elements (coffee and tea) is primarily by example. Rarely will you see a ward activity where someone isn't assigned to bring donuts; The Lion House Restaurant is famous for their spiced hot cider and bakery; and The Roof buffet at the Joseph Smith Memorial building is basically meat-a-palooza.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote