cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #31
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
LOL so the space program was to cover for Ted Kennedy. LOL I seriously laughed out loud.
Glad you enjoyed it.

I have a friend who actually wrote a paper for a political science class with this as it's focus. It was a huge joke on his part - it was about 12 pages or so - and all in good fun, or so he thought.

The professor was a huge Kennedy guy and one of the hippie types that were on campuses throughout the 60s and he saw no humor or even creativity from my friend. Not only did he give my friend an F for the assignment - along with a very nasty note attached to it that took personal shots at my friend - the guy wanted my friend kicked out of school.

My friend took his paper and his class syllabus (which stated that the paper could be anything of a political nature, be it fact or fiction) and handed it to the department head in the meeting the professor demanded. The department head told the professor to use some of his salary to buy a sense of humor.

End of meeting.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #32
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
They WANT you to laugh. You are falling prey to their plan.
Don't ruin it. Dang.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #33
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I just finished watching the American Experience - Truman bio on my DVR. Outstanding program; be sure to catch it if it comes on again.

I think Truman inspires because he was a regular, humble guy from a small town who fought his way to the top through hard work and grit. And he was thrust into the most powerful position in the world at arguably the most pivotal point in the history of the world. In spite of his humble education (no college degree), he had good judgment and usually made the right decision, even when it wasn't popular. His good judgment is evidenced by the staff he selected (has there ever been a better cabinet?) and the manner in which he interacted with his staff to make decisions. If only Dubya had such judgment.

As a sidenote, the series reminded me of what a witch his wife was. Truman should get an extra reward in heaven for enduring that woman year after year. Ugh.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #34
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I just finished watching the American Experience - Truman bio on my DVR. Outstanding program; be sure to catch it if it comes on again.

I think Truman inspires because he was a regular, humble guy from a small town who fought his way to the top through hard work and grit. And he was thrust into the most powerful position in the world at arguably the most pivotal point in the history of the world. In spite of his humble education (no college degree), he had good judgment and usually made the right decision, even when it wasn't popular. His good judgment is evidenced by the staff he selected (has there ever been a better cabinet?) and the manner in which he interacted with his staff to make decisions. If only Dubya had such judgment.

As a sidenote, the series reminded me of what a witch his wife was. Truman should get an extra reward in heaven for enduring that woman year after year. Ugh.
Even worse than Lincoln's wife?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

you call being part of a corrupt Pendergast political machine "hard work and grit"?

Give me a break.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #36
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you call being part of a corrupt Pendergast political machine "hard work and grit"?

Give me a break.
One of my favorite stories about Truman is about how when Tom Pendergast died, and Truman was president, he pissed off his handlers and pollsters and went to the funeral and paid his respects. He was in the Pendergast organization but not of it, kind of like you and the LDS Church, Waters.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #37
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

I just like him because he was a good president, and he recognized Israel.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #38
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Give me a break.
If you think his life or his integrity was defined by his Pendergast connections, you know very little about the man or his history.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you think his life or his integrity was defined by his Pendergast connections, you know very little about the man or his history.
Yeah, just because someone rises to power with Robert Mugable, doesn't mean he is tainted.

Quote:
Pendergast ruled from a simple, two-story yellow brick building at 1908 Main Street. Messages marked with his red scrawl were used to secure all manner of favors. Although he was unquestionably corrupt and there were regularly shootouts and beatings on election days during his watch, history has tended to be kind to his legacy since the permissive go-go days gave rise to the golden era of Kansas City Jazz (now commemorated at the American Jazz Museum at 18th and Vine) as well as a golden era of Kansas City building.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Pendergast
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #40
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah, just because someone rises to power with Robert Mugable, doesn't mean he is tainted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Pendergast

So you think Pendergast was like Mugabe? I suppose by now I shouldn't be surprised by your wild-hair hyperbole, but sometimes it still makes me shake my head.