cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
To be fair, you have to contextualize their opinions.

Dropping THE bomb changed the world, changed warfare, changed politics, changed everything. That is a very significant act.

Also, Kennedy facing the Russians was a very big deal at the time. The country was paranoid over Communism and we were not the established lone superpower. It was a huge, memorable deal for them.

It is harder to make the same impact today because we are the lone superpower.
Like I said, I was there. WE did "bomb" excercises where we would get under our desks. I remember living in fear, sometimes intense fear of a nuclear war. Kennedy backed down the Russians and was a hero to me.

I knew nothing of the things that lead up to the incident. The weakness he had shown and how Kruchev measured him, wrongly thank goodness. If Nikita hadn't backed down, maybe the incident would be thought of differently.

I also saw his family as ideal. Beautiful wife, beautiful kids, war hero, young, articulate. I remember I was in shop class and the teacher said Kennedy was shot. The kid behind me said, "I hope he is dead", instinctively I wheeled around and decked him. Kennedy was a hero to me.

Imagine my dissapointment in finding out a lot of things I found out about him later. I still hold him in high regard and wonder with his gifts how much he could have done. Sadly, as far as I am concerned we will never know because his life was cut short.

I don't consider him a great President, maybe he would have been.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
“I am sorry, gentlemen, but I have to answer to hundreds of thousands who are anxious for the success of Zionism: I do not have hundreds of thousands of Arabs among my constituents.” --Harry S. Truman
Is this quote accurate, becasue they/you got his name wrong? Truman's middle name is S, hence there is no periodafter the S. The S doesnt' stand for something, it is the name. I think for that alone he should be lauded.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Is this quote accurate, becasue they/you got his name wrong? Truman's middle name is S, hence there is no periodafter the S. The S doesnt' stand for something, it is the name. I think for that alone he should be lauded.
If you check on Waters' links and quotes you'll find most of them are made up and/or don't have the remotest thing to do with the point he's advocating. It'd be funny to show those arcane papers he links on medical and health issues that none of us take the time to try to understand to a scientist and see what they really are saying.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #24
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
BYU71, you're the one who came here saying you can't think of a single reason people call Truman or Kennedy good or great presidents. So don't get your back up when we get all condescending and treat you like an idiot.
Surely with your superior IQ to mine you don't need to put words in my mouth in order to make your case.

I used the term "great", I never used the term "good", therefor to indicate I did is bull shit, plain and simple. I also didn't say anything about a single reason. To me to be called great, you would have to do more than one thing, therefor I wouldn't care if they did one or two things, it still wouldn't make them great.

I have fun mocking people who think they are intelligent and that it is important. That is different than getting ones back up. You just assume people are bugged. That is because you put more weight on your supposed intelligence than they do. Another reason why intelligence will never trump good ole common sense.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Don't forget his desire to push the USA to the forefront of the space race. We were lagging behind the Soviets. Kennedy had the vision of landing on the moon.
While that is a great accomplishment, if you step back you can see what I say when I give Kennedy some tremendous foresight on this and wanted to distract from the actions his younger, drunker brother that would bring (more) shame to the family name.

Had Neil Armstrong not stepped off the ladder onto the surface of the moon when he did, there would have been more focus on the little incident that happened the day before at a little place called Chappaquiddick.

So, the moon landing was great, but it was all about saving Kennedy face.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:02 AM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

If you want the scoop on Truman, I highly recommend McCullough's Pulitzer Prize winning bio:

http://www.amazon.com/Truman-David-M...1932874&sr=8-1

Outstanding book.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:20 AM   #27
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
If you want the scoop on Truman, I highly recommend McCullough's Pulitzer Prize winning bio:

http://www.amazon.com/Truman-David-M...1932874&sr=8-1

Outstanding book.
I doubt 71 cares about the scoop on Truman.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #28
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
While that is a great accomplishment, if you step back you can see what I say when I give Kennedy some tremendous foresight on this and wanted to distract from the actions his younger, drunker brother that would bring (more) shame to the family name.

Had Neil Armstrong not stepped off the ladder onto the surface of the moon when he did, there would have been more focus on the little incident that happened the day before at a little place called Chappaquiddick.

So, the moon landing was great, but it was all about saving Kennedy face.
LOL so the space program was to cover for Ted Kennedy. LOL I seriously laughed out loud.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #29
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
LOL so the space program was to cover for Ted Kennedy. LOL I seriously laughed out loud.

They WANT you to laugh. You are falling prey to their plan.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #30
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
They WANT you to laugh. You are falling prey to their plan.
That's fine it worked. I don't mind being an easy target and a good laugh is healthy.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote