cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
While it may not be a testimony breaker for you, it is most definitely a testimony breaker for some. Joseph was willing to lie to his followers about his practice of polyandry. It is not that big of a leap to come to the conclusion that he possibly lied about other revelatory experiences. While we all know our leaders are not perfect and they make mistakes, this "mistake" seems more insidious than even adultry. It is difficult to reconcile the prophetic call of Joseph with these actions.

I have prayed asking for peace of mind concerning these things and am still left wanting. I have not left the church but it troubles me greatly.
The onlyn resolution I have, is maybe the grace issue and forgiveness is much larger than I had previously believed.

It is a difficult situation:

JS: Hey babe, I will be destroyed unless you marry and have sex with me.

Young Hottie: Geeze, I dunno.

JS: An angel will destroy you and me.

Young Hottie: Crying and miserable, okay.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
While it may not be a testimony breaker for you, it is most definitely a testimony breaker for some. Joseph was willing to lie to his followers about his practice of polyandry. It is not that big of a leap to come to the conclusion that he possibly lied about other revelatory experiences. While we all know our leaders are not perfect and they make mistakes, this "mistake" seems more insidious than even adultry. It is difficult to reconcile the prophetic call of Joseph with these actions.

I have prayed asking for peace of mind concerning these things and am still left wanting. I have not left the church but it troubles me greatly.
Sooner has well stated why it is not and should not be a testimony breaker of itself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
People have faith that the Mormon Church is true because they like being Mormon. That's why it's a silly thing to lose one's faith over. It's not about whether JS was 100% legit, 90% legit, or 0% legit. Being Mormon instead of Methodist is like preferring chocolate ice cream to vanilla.
He nailed it.

I was recently with a close relative who said about his Mormon faith, "I like believing what we believe. It makes me and my family happy and productive, even if it isn't true." I say God bless all such people. For such people it is in a very real sense "true."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

How did my post become its own thread?
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I have the same question - how did my name get into the thread title?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #15
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Cougarguard's patriarchy is asserting authority.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Sooner has well stated why it is not and should not be a testimony breaker of itself:

He nailed it.

I was recently with a close relative who said about his Mormon faith, "I like believing what we believe. It makes me and my family happy and productive, even if it isn't true." I say God bless all such people. For such people it is in a very real sense "true."
This is getting really tired. Yes, you're above the rest of the world who believes there is a God and there are truths about him that can be revealed to man. We get it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Magic by Administrator in the Sky.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #18
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Cougarguard's patriarchy is asserting authority.
CG Patriarchy = Sir Goat?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:02 PM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
CG Patriarchy = Sir Goat?
As I research the thread, I note that you wished or inquired,

Quote:
Based on Marsupial's post (and my earlier one), I am interested in responses re: the JS polyandry issue.
Apparently, your wish is the administrator's command. You two are afterall the ladies of the house.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This is getting really tired. Yes, you're above the rest of the world who believes there is a God and there are truths about him that can be revealed to man. We get it.
Okay, so let's examine this from the common sense point of view of Flystripper or nonsequitor. Why isn't it a testimony breaker? What are the revealed truths? Do they include that adultery and lying are bad? How about a married man having sex with an underage girl over whom he has stewardship? Is calling that a bad thing part of the restored gospel's message? Logically, why is this not a testimony breaker for Jay Santos? Logically it should be. Why isn't it?

I think that inherent in Mormonism's Gnosic perspective is the notion that the theology has to make sense. It has to pass the rule of reason, regardless of how good it makes you feel. I admire a person who says I don't find it passes the rule of reason, but today it's right for me. It's a good way of life. What's wrong with that?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote