cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #41
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If Thomas Jefferson has black kids than I think

the earth could have been covered completely with water. However I tend to lean towards the localized flood theory only because I dont think the whole world had even been discovered yet. But then again God made the world and he knew about it, i am so confused
cougjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:10 PM   #42
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
My added thoughts:

Even after reading that article, I still believe it was a world wide flood and some will believe in the local flood theory. But we both will be saved if we believe and act according to God's principles.
Speak for yourself. I think you are on a rocketship to hell. :wink:
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:29 PM   #43
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Speak for yourself. I think you are on a rocketship to hell. :wink:
Sweet, I'm a Rocket man
Old 12-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #44
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
I'm reading the article right now, but this was pretty funny,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane E. Jeffery
"The methane from animal wastes would have made the ark a floating bomb, susceptible to the slightest candle flame.4"

I tend to think that they would have just shoveled it all over the side but it would have been indeed been difficult for 8 people to do it all. Maybe they trained the animals to clean up after themselves - like my nephew.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:11 AM   #45
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

I like this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane E. Jeffery
One missionary to the Hottentots, for instance,
records how a Hottentot told him a purported legend of his
people. Suspicious because the telling was so close to the biblical
account of the Noachian Flood, the missionary pressed
his informant as to his source. The man adamantly insisted it
was an old legend of his people. But when the missionary later
shared his experience with another missionary, the latter
laughingly reported that he had taught the story to that very
Hottentot some time earlier.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:47 AM   #46
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Here's one thought that I've seen hinted at in this discussion but not fully treated. A world-wide immersion would not have needed to cover the Himalayas, because they would not have existed prior to the dividing of the earth during the days of Peleg.

If you look at the major mountain ranges of the earth today (Himalayas, Rockies/Andes, etc.), the majority of them are formed due to plate tectonics. As originally created in it's Garden of Eden Terrestrial state, mountains and hills were created to give variety and beauty to the earth's surface, but would they have been high enough to be inhabitable? Exactly how deep would the waters need to have been in order to cover the highest mountains?

I suspect that mountains would not have gotten much higher than a mile or so. This would make a global deluge much more plausible. I also wonder if subterranean activity could have shifted water levels higher in conjunction with the rain. Bottom line, we don't know a) exactly what happened, b) what scientific phenomenon would have caused it, or c) how the tackling was SO ATROCIOUS at the LV bowl. Think Bronco will hire a DC?
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:28 PM   #47
Iluvatar

Iluvatar
Default Noah's Ark

I don't know much about the earth 6000 years ago, I'm just a geologist.

I think we need to apply occam's razor here. All things being equal, the simplest explanation is usually the most accurate. There is virtually no geological, biological or archeological evidence that a wordwide flood took place at the time that Noah is said to have lived. There is, however, substantial evidence that a regional flood involving much of the fertile crescent and mesopotamia did happen during that general time frame. So, are we to believe that there was indeed a worldwide flood despite the body of evidence to the contrary, or do we believe what the evidence tells us?

Besides, how literally do we have to take the old testament? This flood would have appeared to cover all the earth from Noah's perspective. And is the size of the flood really important to the overall moral of the story?

As for the DNA repository theory? There is absolutley no evidence whatsoever that the people of Noah's time had any practical knowledge of genetics. Much less the technology (computers, microscopes, cryogenics, etc.) to pull anything like that off. Moreover, there is no way that all the species on earth could have become so geographically isolated and genetically divergent in a 6000 year span of time.

Do I have to believe that the world was literally inundated by water to believe in the message that Noah's story conveys? Do I have to believe that the Lamanites are literally the primary ancestors to the american indians to see that we are on the downward slope of the nephite cycle? I don't think so...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #48
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

The problem with Occum's razor is that you get different results when you shave from different angles. Saying that the world is flat is still the simplest explanation (because after all, you can't see the curves from where you're at).

Theologists will say that a world-wide flood makes the most sense due to doctrinal support and quotes from all sorts of different important people. Geologists will say that a local-area flood makes the most sense.

Ideally, we will be able to accumulate all available evidence and be able to apply occum's razor most effectively.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:40 AM   #49
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

I believe that God's science is a little more advanced than the science that is understood now. Even though we have computers, microscopes and cryogenics.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote