cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Noah's flood (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549)

Fumamota McChopperdave 10-23-2005 10:17 PM

Noah's flood

Yes this is the topic that banned me from CB many moons ago. How do you interpret Noah's flood? For me that was the toughest thing to swallow in the scriptures. A pair of every animal in the world? Not sure that is possible.
I submit that the flood was a local event in the 'fertile crescent' in the middle east.

MikeWaters 10-23-2005 10:45 PM

Was it DirtyHippieUte who suggested that the arc was actually a DNA repository of life on the earth used to reseed the earth after massive destruction?

If you get tied down into literal interpretations of the Bible, you are doomed to mental gymnastics.

SoCalCoug 10-24-2005 01:26 AM

What is interesting to me is the detail in the size and construction of the ark, contrasted to the seeming impossibility of putting two of every type of animal on it.

I guess the DNA repository thing could have been done, if it was by the aliens who built the pyramids. :)

Archaea 10-24-2005 01:35 AM

There seems to be a general consensus that it was a

Fertile Crescent Flood.

The DNA repository is a fascinating idea as well.

MikeWaters 10-24-2005 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug

I guess the DNA repository thing could have been done, if it was by the aliens who built the pyramids. :)

socal, you forget that God is not an alien. He is rather an extra-terrestrial exalted humanoid.

Get your terms straight.
:)

Brian 10-24-2005 03:25 AM

flood

local event perhaps.
but probably symbollic.
i think most of early genesis is symbollic. the earth is way older than 6000 years and the account of the creation/fall is symbollic.
eating fruit didn't create the human condition, it symbollizes how things got the way they are.
no gymnastics and much, much more meaningful.

Regards,
Brian

ute4ever 10-24-2005 05:10 AM

Supposing the flood was 5000-6000 years ago, is it possible there has been enough evolution and cross-species mating since then to fill the San Diego Zoo? Hey if I was a curelom and saw one of those lovely cumoms across the way, I might try batting for the other team.

SeattleUte 10-24-2005 11:18 AM

State of evolution 5-6 thousand years ago

Five to six thousand years is a thin slice of time in the age of the earth and its species. Five to six thousand years ago there were a multitude of species, nearly resembling what we have today.

fusnik11 10-25-2005 04:31 PM

while these pagans here will have you believe it was a flood in a specific part of the world i think it very possible that it is a literal story.

few possibilities.

a. more than one noah.

b. if snow was covering the earth than the whole earth would be submerged without liquid water covering every inch of the earth.