cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 04:45 AM   #11
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I attend gospel principles for this very reason. Mostly new converts, the ward mission leader teaches it, he teaches exactly what we are supposed to know, he is very concise and to the point and he doesnt assume what the manual is trying to say.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #12
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I attend gospel principles for this very reason. Mostly new converts, the ward mission leader teaches it, he teaches exactly what we are supposed to know, he is very concise and to the point and he doesnt assume what the manual is trying to say.
I know. Funk and I are considering going to gospel principles. Usually, the lessons are much more to the point and accurate, I think. Well, at least, have less bombasting from the teacher because they're less "the gospel according to Brother So-and-So" and more "the gospel according to Jesus Christ."
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
I've had so many bishops with major platforms about people staying for the last 2 meetings. One of my singles ward bishops would bring people in for interviews if he found that they were skipping too many meetings and threatened to revoke temple recommends.
one of the questions is 'are you attending your sacrament and priesthood meetings?'. So you are off the hook and I say SS is defiantly one that you can skip, but on a serious note, I can see where the bishop would be concerned. Not so sure about the threats though.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Fast Sunday can be tricky. There are 2 schools of thought when it comes to fasting:

The 24 hour fast.

The 2 meal fast.

I prefer the 2 meal fast. I eat dinner on Saturday, then skip breakfast and lunch on Sunday. And because the generally accepted idea that lunch is at noon and our Sacrament Meeting (which is our first meeting) is from 11:00-12:20, I have technically fasted for both breakfast and lunch when the meeting is over. So running home during Sunday School to eat isn't breaking the fast.
actually there are three: the skip-breakfast fast
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Seriously, I don't know when there's a week in gospel doctrine where somebody goes off on some tangent about how the learned will never come to learn the truth of the gospel. Another popular soapbox is that intellect gets in the way of faith, or more specifically that those who question the truth of the gospel do not have perfect faith.
What's wrong with these statements? They're true.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Fast Sunday can be tricky. There are 2 schools of thought when it comes to fasting:

The 24 hour fast.

The 2 meal fast.

I prefer the 2 meal fast. I eat dinner on Saturday, then skip breakfast and lunch on Sunday. And because the generally accepted idea that lunch is at noon and our Sacrament Meeting (which is our first meeting) is from 11:00-12:20, I have technically fasted for both breakfast and lunch when the meeting is over. So running home during Sunday School to eat isn't breaking the fast.

You have it all wrong Padrino.

Fast Sunday involves the no eating large meals during your bike ride fast. You don't before the ride, drink during the ride and eat something afterwards forgetting it was Fast Sunday.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've had so many bishops with major platforms about people staying for the last 2 meetings. One of my singles ward bishops would bring people in for interviews if he found that they were skipping too many meetings and threatened to revoke temple recommends.
I don't know how effective making revocation threats really is, but this brings up a good question, since it does happen to be a temple recommend question (cue BYU71). Can one be a worthy temple recommend holder, and frequently skip Priesthood/Relief Society, Sunday School, or both? And the corrollary ... would a bishop be justified in denying a recommend to someone who did so?

What says CG?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't know how effective making revocation threats really is, but this brings up a good question, since it does happen to be a temple recommend question (cue BYU71). Can one be a worthy temple recommend holder, and frequently skip Priesthood/Relief Society, Sunday School, or both? And the corrollary ... would a bishop be justified in denying a recommend to someone who did so?

What says CG?
I look at the questions as a self evaluation for the most part, so if a person said they attend their meetings, I don't think it's appropriate for a priesthood leader to disagree and deny them. It would be appropriate for the priesthood leader to probe a little, ask how often they attend, why they don't when they're not there, and challenge for more frequent attendance.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

What says CG?
Didnt someone just post a talk from Oaks about a bishop not giving a marriage recommend to a single member who never attended his home ward?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #20
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You have a lot to learn about being active in the LDS Church in Utah.

Unless you have a calling that doesn't allow it, you skip Sunday School and go home and eat something.
We can all learn a lot from this man.