cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An example of impressive Christian charitable effort

http://www.dallaslife.org/abt_history.htm

You will notice the list of Reverends and their associated churches who made this happen.

Is their anything more Christian than taking in the desperately poor, those without food, shelter, jobs, those struggling with substance abuse, and other problems, and helping them get on their feet?

Largest shelter in North Texas.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody's going to oppose that. But what do these churches do in terms of aiding the Red Cross, what contributions do they send internationally? How do they help their own members?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

You will notice the list of Reverends and their associated churches who made this happen.

Is their anything more Christian than taking in the desperately poor, those without food, shelter, jobs, those struggling with substance abuse, and other problems, and helping them get on their feet?

I appreciate that kind of charity. I don't know if LDS church can match or not. You seem bent on the idea that we don't. I'd bet the church in Salt Lake easily pays for 105 beds a night. But I could be wrong.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Nobody's going to oppose that. But what do these churches do in terms of aiding the Red Cross, what contributions do they send internationally? How do they help their own members?
Of course, I'm not familiar with those things.

I'm not even familiar with it among Mormons. I have no idea how much money my ward has donated to anything.

Here's an account of our stake's major charitable effort:

Quote:
DALLAS HABITAT INSTALLS NEW
PARK IN GREENLEAF VILLAGE
On Saturday, February 19, Dallas Area Habitat
volunteers broke ground on the Mickie Marcus
Park in Greenleaf Village, located in West Dallas.
The 4.3 acre park will give the community of
Greenleaf Village a large tranquil green space for
families and children to relax. When finished, it
will feature over 100 trees and other landscaping,
bike trails, and a pavestone terrace with plans for
an open-air pavilion for family picnics and
concerts.
Named in memory of Dallas Habitat friend and
supporter Mickie Marcus, the park has been made
possible in part by contributions from her family
and friends. The labor for the park has been
provided by over 600 volunteers from over 40
congregations from The Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints.

“This park is not only a wonderful tribute to a truly
remarkable woman, Mickie Marcus, but will also
complete the Greenleaf Village neighborhood,
giving residents a beautiful place to spend time
together,” remarked Fred Hoster, Capitol
Campaign Director. “Dallas Habitat is honored to
have the support of Mrs. Marcus’ friends and
family and the amazing volunteers from The
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in our
ongoing commitment to build communities of
hope.”
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
Old 01-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I appreciate that kind of charity. I don't know if LDS church can match or not. You seem bent on the idea that we don't. I'd bet the church in Salt Lake easily pays for 105 beds a night. But I could be wrong.
Wasn't Adam up in arms about homeless dying on the streets in Utah County in the cold, and there not being any public support for a homeless shelter.

Zion, indeed.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
This is the church that supports the homeless shelter:

http://www.firstdallas.org/

Here is their mission to help an orphanage in Peru.
http://peru2007.wordpress.com/

Here is what they do in terms of charity in addition:

Quote:
FBD has missionaries who serve locally, nationally, and internationally. Their vision is based on an Acts 1:8 model, and their enthusiasm is in honoring the Great Commission (Matt. 28:16-20). The doors of First Baptist Dallas remain open, yet there are many in need who can’t make the trek to 1707 San Jacinto in Dallas, Texas. Our hope is to go to them.

FBD presently sponsors more than thirty mission chapels and ministries in the Dallas County area.

In addition, we work extensively with local jails, state prisons, and juvenile detention centers. Work with the incarcerated extends beyond the local area as we work with the Texas Department of Corrections and the Texas Youth Commission.

FBD also maintains an ever-broadening ministry to the poor and homeless of Dallas. This ministry is carried on through the Inner City Chapel and the Dallas Life Foundation.

Other ministries include, English as a Second Language (ESL), literacy, ministry to gangs, apartment ministries, and street evangelism.

Giving to Missions

The Lord continues to bless FBD. Two years ago the church was statistically first in giving to the Lottie Moon Fund with funds totaling $1.4 million. The church annually averages a total of $1.5 – 2 million in giving to missions.
http://www.firstdallas.org/Missions/

I don't know how big the congregation is. Obviously much larger than a ward.

But I wonder if you compared the charitable efforts of a number of wards equal to the membership of this church, how they would compare against this church.

I wonder.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wasn't Adam up in arms about homeless dying on the streets in Utah County in the cold, and there not being any public support for a homeless shelter.

Zion, indeed.
My ward made lunches for the Utah County Food bank. They give out 70 a day during the winter. I really don't know about it all, but I know bishops pay for temporary housing all the time. You can accomplish the same objective of a homeless shelter through other means. I'm not really defending that aggressively. I don't know the details. But I don't think you have any data to support your claim that LDS is not doing this stuff. Other than your stake public affairs lady's one sound byte.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
My ward made lunches for the Utah County Food bank. They give out 70 a day during the winter. I really don't know about it all, but I know bishops pay for temporary housing all the time. You can accomplish the same objective of a homeless shelter through other means. I'm not really defending that aggressively. I don't know the details. But I don't think you have any data to support your claim that LDS is not doing this stuff. Other than your stake public affairs lady's one sound byte.
Paying for temporary housing is not nearly the same thing, in terms of effort and service. The average member probably never even knows it happened, much less is involved in giving that service.

How does one access this service? We talk about the hoops that people have to jump through to get help. Seems like finding a Mormon bishop is a pretty dang big hoop to jump through. In other words, accessibility is terrible in such a system. And also inefficient.

It is painless however, in that it involves no longterm commitment, and no use of members time.

I guess you would have a good argument if the Provo police weren't collecting dead frozen bodies off the streets (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The only thing I can think of more Christian than that is preaching hellfire to those damned heretics, the Mormons.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Paying for temporary housing is not nearly the same thing, in terms of effort and service. The average member probably never even knows it happened, much less is involved in giving that service.

How does one access this service? We talk about the hoops that people have to jump through to get help. Seems like finding a Mormon bishop is a pretty dang big hoop to jump through. In other words, accessibility is terrible in such a system. And also inefficient.

It is painless however, in that it involves no longterm commitment, and no use of members time.

I guess you would have a good argument if the Provo police weren't collecting dead frozen bodies off the streets (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

It's always fun to compare and compete to see which churches provide the best assistance to the needy. Very Christlike, indeed.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote