cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 02:38 AM   #21
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I share a similar trauma. I was a seven year old who worshiped Robbie Bosco, I even had a Heisman promo poster of him in my room. The poster had a lifesize image of Robbie with a measuring tape on the side. The message was, "When it comes to the Heisman, Robbie Bosco measures up." I also had the Jason Buck one dollar bill poster and various other Cougar Illustrated posters. The thought of those guys, my heroes, losing to UTEP was beyond my comprehension.
I had nightmares all night that night. I kept waking up thinking they were coming back, or that it had not been true. I kept asking my brother who was 13 if it was true. It was still yes in the morning, and I read it in the paper and knew it was true.

I have spoken to a lot of hard core Cougars of about my same age and this was a seminal moment for all.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:52 AM   #22
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I had nightmares all night that night. I kept waking up thinking they were coming back, or that it had not been true. I kept asking my brother who was 13 if it was true. It was still yes in the morning, and I read it in the paper and knew it was true.

I have spoken to a lot of hard core Cougars of about my same age and this was a seminal moment for all.
It's better that we had to deal with adversity when we did. It prepared us for the pain-killer abuse scandal the next year.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:15 AM   #23
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
It's better that we had to deal with adversity when we did. It prepared us for the pain-killer abuse scandal the next year.
I cannot hear the word Percoset without immediately thinking of JC Von Collin to this day.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 AM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I cannot hear the word Percoset without immediately thinking of JC Von Collin to this day.
What drug reminds you of Trevor Molini?

There is a guy who is an example of somebody who had an opportunity of a lifetime and blew it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:12 PM   #25
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:

My dad tells me it was heartbreaking. I was too young to know much about what was going on with football back then.

The whole things sounds sort of like the UNR loss, only worse (which is hard to imagine). I remember just sitting there in the hotel room in Tahoe watching the ticker on ESPN thinking it must just all be a bad dream because there's no way we just lost that game.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #26
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I can attest to the UTEP '85 loss

I too would wake up in the night thinking it was a bad dream, only to realize the reality of the nightmare in the morning. I was depressed about it for a week or two and it is still, by far, the worst thing loss I have suffered through in BYU history. No other is even close. Remember, the UTEP loss was during the tail end of BYU's golden age. UTEP had not won a game that year and BYU was favored by over 40 points. It is probably the worst odds loss game in division 1 history I would guess. Seriously, it was like a team such as UNLV from the last couple of years beating a team ranked about No. 5.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote