cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #21
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Listening to KSL, they just played a pundit suggesting that McCain pick Condi Rice as his running mate. Wouldn't that be rich ... the Republicans one-upping the Dems by nominating someone BOTH black and female, and more experience and qualification than the two of them combined.

Don't think it'll happen, but I'll be damned if it wouldn't make me reconsider my anti-McCain stance.
As I've said before, that would be transparent, cynical and disgusting. I like Rice BTW.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #22
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
As I've said before, that would be transparent, cynical and disgusting. I like Rice BTW.
Even then, she would be the totally wrong choice. What would she bring to the ticket? Foreign policy experience? Well, that is McCain's strength. Her involvement in planning for Iraq would be a drag.

McCain needs a conservative governor with executive experience, preferably one that can show that his policies led to economic and job growth. Geography might also play a role, such as someone from a blue state or borderline blue/red state.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 02-07-2008 at 06:16 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Rice is a terrible choice.

She has been, at best, a forgettable secretary of state. She represents a link to a failed presidency.

It would be a terrible choice, just a hair better than picking Rumsfeld as VP.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I disagree though it's likely it could be cast that way in the media. Your response is indicative of the same attitude we criticize liberals over: race-based decision making. The reason liberals say we should vote for Hillary ("First Woman!") or Barack ("First Black!") is the same reason you say we shouldn't put Rice on the ticket. It's as though her qualifications don't matter.

All Rice would need to do as a VP candidate is open her mouth, and she'd put the chattering classes to shame.

On a more humorous note: if what you say is true, then the liberals should love it anyway. Isn't that what affirmative action is all about?

EDIT: Let me add, by the way, that I am not lobbying for this pick. She wouldn't be my first choice. I'm just reacting to the possibility.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #25
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Translation: Mitt struck a deal with McCain.
Doubt it. What deal is there to be struck?

I think Mitt is just doing what's best to keep him well positioned for 2012.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #26
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I disagree though it's likely it could be cast that way in the media. Your response is indicative of the same attitude we criticize liberals over: race-based decision making. The reason liberals say we should vote for Hillary ("First Woman!") or Barack ("First Black!") is the same reason you say we shouldn't put Rice on the ticket. It's as though her qualifications don't matter.

All Rice would need to do as a VP candidate is open her mouth, and she'd put the chattering classes to shame.

On a more humorous note: if what you say is true, then the liberals should love it anyway. Isn't that what affirmative action is all about?

EDIT: Let me add, by the way, that I am not lobbying for this pick. She wouldn't be my first choice. I'm just reacting to the possibility.
Race based decision making... ironic you would accuse UtahDan of that right after you proposed Rice because she was female and... black. Nice.

Rice brings absolutely nothing to the ticket that Republicans don't already have (other than blatant racial pandering at the request of Tex).

They need a staunch conservative, preferrably evangelical, and preferrably from the south.

George Allen, Huckabee (though I think he is of marginal help), Crist (can he get you anything outside of Florida), Gingrich (would he even run with McCain?), Santorum (not southerner, but conservative favorite), Kay Bailey Hutchinson would be names to consider.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 02-07-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #27
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
McCain's only chance is to capture a couple of blue states and Rice won't do that for him. McCain probably can't win anyway, but it's not because Utah and Mississippi or other red states won't vote for him. He nominates Rice or someone like that and he wins the red states by a higher percentage. That doesn't mean anything. He would lose the blue states and swing states.
McCain's only hope is that Hillary is the Dems' choice. He could beat her just because so many people will vote AGAINST her, not necessarily for McCain. If it's Obama, I think McCain is toast.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #28
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
McCain's only hope is that Hillary is the Dems' choice. He could beat her just because so many people will vote AGAINST her, not necessarily for McCain. If it's Obama, I think McCain is toast.
Was that NorCal Cat with a reasonable opinion?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #29
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Race based decision making... ironic you would accuse UtahDan of that right after you proposed Rice because she was female and... black. Nice.

Rice brings absolutely nothing to the ticket that Republicans don't already have (other than blatant racial pandering at the request of Tex).
If you think I would support Rice because she is female and black, you have not understood. I am not a Democrat.

But of course, you knew exactly what I meant, and are just in your perpetual "cross-X" mode.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #30
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Was that NorCal Cat with a reasonable opinion?
Its like the kid who hangs around the grownups table just enough to regurgitate something he heard, even if he doesn't know what it means.