cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Okay I'm leaving in the morning, and went to lds.org to get all of the addresses, and tomorrow is the 164th anniversary of the martyrdom on June 27, 1844. Creepy.
Creepy or inspired?

What better day to visit Carthage than tomorrow?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Creepy or inspired?

Make sure you wear some BYU paraphernalia to properly mark the occasion.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #23
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Creepy or inspired?

I heard Hinckley ordered the spot where JS's blood had stained the floorboards to be sanded down. Is this true?

If so, I find it regrettable.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #24
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the greatest job in the world, appraising residential and commercial real estate. I told my boss about the trip and asked if he had anything reasonably near the route. He gave me half a dozen structures to see in towns that are just off the freeways, such as St. Joseph MO and Blytheville AR.

Now not only is the trip paid for, but I can write off the gasoline.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I have the greatest job in the world, appraising residential and commercial real estate. I told my boss about the trip and asked if he had anything reasonably near the route. He gave me half a dozen structures to see in towns that are just off the freeways, such as St. Joseph MO and Blytheville AR.

Now not only is the trip paid for, but I can write off the gasoline.
you're probably going to get 5 PMs in the next day about your job.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I heard Hinckley ordered the spot where JS's blood had stained the floorboards to be sanded down. Is this true?

Yes, it is gone.

I guess I don't find it regrettable, but just my opinion.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 AM   #27
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Nauvoo is a well worth the trip. It is easy to fill the whole day there hanging out at the museums and shops. Visitors center is okay, as I recall, but probably not the highlight of the trip. Carthage is a must-see, as it is a short drive from there.

Winter Quarters is a nice trip as well, but not quite as cool as some of the other spots. The pioneer cemetary is a sobering place to visit, and the visitors site is pretty well done. It is all right next to the WQ temple, so its a one stop shop. Throw in the Kanesville Tabernacle in Council Bluffs Iowa and you've got you're day planned for you.

Other than those 3 or 4 sites, there is not much else to visit in Omaha or Council Bluffs. Unless of course you are talking about Rosenblatt Stadium, but the College World Series ended last night, so all there is there is alot of peanuts and puffy fingers. The Omaha Zoo is world class, btw. The Olympics qualifying swim meet is this weekend in Omaha.

Independence was cool. They have a nice visitors center there, right across the street from the RLDS temple, which is also worth a trip. Adam Ondi Ahmen was, well, a big empty farm field. Don't waste your time. Liberty Jail is a short drive and worth the trip. we never made it to Hahns mill, also not far from there.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post

I haven't heard that, but if it is true, I find that regrettable as well.

I seem to remember hearing that it was Hyrum's blood that had stained the floor, not Joseph's. Of course, I was about 11 when my family visited the site, so my memory may not be correct.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Nauvoo is a well worth the trip. It is easy to fill the whole day there hanging out at the museums and shops. Visitors center is okay, as I recall, but probably not the highlight of the trip. Carthage is a must-see, as it is a short drive from there.

Winter Quarters is a nice trip as well, but not quite as cool as some of the other spots. The pioneer cemetary is a sobering place to visit, and the visitors site is pretty well done. It is all right next to the WQ temple, so its a one stop shop. Throw in the Kanesville Tabernacle in Council Bluffs Iowa and you've got you're day planned for you.

Other than those 3 or 4 sites, there is not much else to visit in Omaha or Council Bluffs. Unless of course you are talking about Rosenblatt Stadium, but the College World Series ended last night, so all there is there is alot of peanuts and puffy fingers. The Omaha Zoo is world class, btw. The Olympics qualifying swim meet is this weekend in Omaha.

Independence was cool. They have a nice visitors center there, right across the street from the RLDS temple, which is also worth a trip. Adam Ondi Ahmen was, well, a big empty farm field. Don't waste your time. Liberty Jail is a short drive and worth the trip. we never made it to Hahns mill, also not far from there.
when I went to the Garden of Eden as a kid, I remember seeing some concrete foundations and wondering if those came from Adam's time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 AM   #30
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Yes, it is gone.

I guess I don't find it regrettable, but just my opinion.
There's just something about permanently erasing an artifact from the past that I find melancholy. I'm not outraged, or even upset. Just a little sad that something historical has been deliberately erased.

Quote:
I haven't heard that, but if it is true, I find that regrettable as well.

I seem to remember hearing that it was Hyrum's blood that had stained the floor, not Joseph's. Of course, I was about 11 when my family visited the site, so my memory may not be correct.
That makes sense that it would be Hyrum. He was shot in the face, near the door, I believe. Joseph ended up falling from the window.