cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2008, 05:01 AM   #11
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Nauvoo and Winter Quarters is well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I have some free time on my hands, and my baby is in Anaheim, so I'm thinking of driving up to Nauvoo on Friday, since it's only six hours from me. Is there much to do and see in Nauvoo besides the temple? Could I make a whole day of it?

Anyone been to Winter Quarters? Would it be worth it to drive all the way out there from Nauvoo? Same question about Independence and Far West. I guess I could make a whole weekend out of it.

Where is "Adam-Ondi-Ahman"? Does the church have a bronze Adam and Eve statue there like the one at the North Visitors Center on Temple Square? That would almost be funny to take a photo of. Almost.
worth the trip. You can spend an entire day in nauvoo if you take in all the sites including those of the Church of Christ. Been there 3 times. Learned something new each time. The evening program put on by the senior missionaries is good. There's also a program put on by the students there. not sure how often that plays. Make reservations to go to the temple there. Sometimes you can't get in. Carthage is about 30 minutes away. My respect for Joseph Smith and the trials endured was increased. Carthage was underwhelming.

Been to Winter Quarters about 6 times. Again another faith promoting experience. have gone through the visitors center a number of times and learned something new there as well. There is another site in Council bluffs where Brigham Young was sustained as second president. It was OK but you could feel there spirit there as well. About a 15 minute drive from Winter Quarters. go to the temple there as well.

I would go to both places on a regular basis if I could. Well worth the trip!
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:37 AM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
This was my experience at the hill Cumorah. I kept saying, "thank you sir but we're life long members of the church and we know the Joseph Smith story". But he had this look in his eye like "look buddy, I haven't spoken to another human being in two days you're going to hear whatever I want you to hear."
LOL, I think that same missionary was at the David Whitmer farm the day I popped in. He hurriedly put on a tie before beginning his rant about the six kinds of porridge available in 1829.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have some free time on my hands, and my baby is in Anaheim, so I'm thinking of driving up to Nauvoo on Friday, since it's only six hours from me. Is there much to do and see in Nauvoo besides the temple? Could I make a whole day of it?

Anyone been to Winter Quarters? Would it be worth it to drive all the way out there from Nauvoo? Same question about Independence and Far West. I guess I could make a whole weekend out of it.

Where is "Adam-Ondi-Ahman"? Does the church have a bronze Adam and Eve statue there like the one at the North Visitors Center on Temple Square? That would almost be funny to take a photo of. Almost.
You need to go at least once in your life: it's one of the five pillars of Mormonism. You get there, and there's a huge black cube-shaped building you have to walk around several times, say a prayer, throw a rock . . . oh, wait. My bad. Wrong hajj.

I thought Winter Quarters a drag, but Nauvoo was pretty cool. it's kind of a nasty place this time of year - lots of bugs, pretty sticky air, etc.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #14
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I've been to Nauvoo many times. There's plenty to do. If you have any pioneer ancestors, and you know their names, the records office can be rewarding. They can show you where your ancestors lived and so on.

If I had one shot, I'd do the CoC tour with the red brick store and the Nauvoo house, Carthage, the brick-making thing, the bakery (fresh bread), the printing press, the BY house, and the JT house.

Be prepared for mosquitoes.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Nauvoo is well worth the trip. Be sure to swing over to Carthage also. That may have been my favorite part of our visit. Incredibly moving.
Yes. If you go to Nauvoo you have to also do the Carthage jail visit.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #16
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Nauvoo is well worth the trip. Be sure to swing over to Carthage also. That may have been my favorite part of our visit. Incredibly moving.
Yes, very moving. As a sixteen year old it's where I really gained a strong testimony of the prophet Joseph, independent of my parents testimony.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #17
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have some free time on my hands, and my baby is in Anaheim, so I'm thinking of driving up to Nauvoo on Friday, since it's only six hours from me.
Six hours? Is it really only six hours? It took us about nine to get there, but then again we did have a toddler with us.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I also found Carthage to be very moving. Well worth a visit especially in connection with a Nauvoo trip.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #19
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I've also never seen more fat people in my life than at Nauvoo.

Other than that, it's not too bad.
Well, then you need to make a trip out to Mississippi!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #20
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay I'm leaving in the morning, and went to lds.org to get all of the addresses, and tomorrow is the 164th anniversary of the martyrdom on June 27, 1844. Creepy.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote