cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #41
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I realize scouting is worldwide, but I have trouble believing it exists in the same way in many parts of the world.

They openly campaign for $ for area boy scouts here, right around the time they wear those bloody uniforms to church. Every year, passing around a clipboard to pledge money in RS and such.

And that doesn't sound much worse than what they offer the YW, which is what I thought you started out asking about. So you prefer to spiff up the programs for YW (exepct they may not want to camp, as you point out)? Or is parity not the issue here?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The YW program looks boring as hell to me. But I'm a guy so what I do know.

It would be nice if the girls could get the message that we want them to be leaders. Scouting teaches that. I'm not sure their programs teach that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #43
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I realize scouting is worldwide, but I have trouble believing it exists in the same way in many parts of the world.

They openly campaign for $ for area boy scouts here, right around the time they wear those bloody uniforms to church. Every year, passing around a clipboard to pledge money in RS and such.

And that doesn't sound much worse than what they offer the YW, which is what I thought you started out asking about. So you prefer to spiff up the programs for YW (exepct they may not want to camp, as you point out)? Or is parity not the issue here?
THey are not supposed to wear the unis to church as part of an organized scout effort or activity, including Friends of Scouting fundraising.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #44
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

One question we will have to ask ourselves as a Church at some point is...do we need a "scouting type" organization or is that function better served by retrenching in families? I don't know the answer the Church will give but I think a father/son relationship is better suited for teaching leadership, goal setting, etc. than scouting.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
One question we will have to ask ourselves as a Church at some point is...do we need a "scouting type" organization or is that function better served by retrenching in families? I don't know the answer the Church will give but I think a father/son relationship is better suited for teaching leadership, goal setting, etc. than scouting.
What about the kids with no fathers?

Let me think here--I have a 12 year old with no father. I have a 13 and 16 year old whose father is not very active in their lives (around town).

Of all the boys, I think only 2 fathers have a college education. Yes, I hope that all the boys will go to college.

What about the kids with fathers who are not active in the church? And appear to not be very good role models?

You are thinking everyone had your father (if you are suggesting that your father did a good job with you).
Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #46
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

I'm not a big fan of Scouting. The deacons in my ward are into it so I think it's good for them. The vast majority of the older boys (myself included) think it's dorky. Uniforms suck. Merit badges are lame.

Camping and hiking are great. So's the YM program.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
I'm not a big fan of Scouting. The deacons in my ward are into it so I think it's good for them. The vast majority of the older boys (myself included) think it's dorky. Uniforms suck. Merit badges are lame.

Camping and hiking are great. So's the YM program.
That's funny. I never thought I would meet someone who insisted that YM do camping and hiking but get rid of Scouts.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #48
Burning Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
That's funny. I never thought I would meet someone who insisted that YM do camping and hiking but get rid of Scouts.
I love outdoors stuff but I've never been a fan of the BSA. It's dorky.

I'm currently serving as YMs 1st. I've got 7 Teachers right now that are active in our YM's program. 1 is active and halfway into Scouts. 2 are active Jocks who think scouting sucks. 2 inactive and 2 non-member boys round us out and they're not into Scouts at all.

I think scouting is great for the deacons because they're into it. In 2008, though, scouting is just not cool for the older boys. Even my wife, who is as conservative and mormony as can be, thinks scouting is dorky.

When I was called a year ago, our YM President (who has been in Scouting for 25 years and is a Silver Beaver or something) would have us tying knots all the time or watching 3 straight weeks of fire safety videos. As a result attendance dwindled. The deacons were doing great with the 2nd Counselor, but the Teachers and Priests were sinking. I can't tell you how many weeks I'd show up for mutual and not have one Teacher or Priest.

A couple of months ago the President decided to split the Priests and Teachers with me being over the Teachers. We've gone from having one Teacher who showed up half the time to 6 that show up every week and 1 that shows up most weeks. It would be more but two boys just moved. As near as I can tell, those 7 boys comprise 100% of the 14-15 year old boys that live in the ward boundaries (including non-members).

We don't really do any scout stuff. In an average month I like to have 2 fun activities, 1 spiritual or service activity and then the combined activity. So far it's been working well.

Last edited by Burning Bright; 03-11-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
I love outdoors stuff but I've never been a fan of the BSA. It's dorky.

I'm currently serving as YMs 1st. I've got 7 Teachers right now that are active in our YM's program. 1 is active and halfway into Scouts. 2 are active Jocks who think scouting sucks. 2 inactive and 2 non-member boys round us out and they're not into Scouts at all.

I think scouting is great for the deacons because they're into it. In 2008, though, scouting is just not cool for the older boys. Even my wife, who is as conservative and mormony as can be, thinks scouting is dorky.

When I was called a year ago, our YM President (who has been in Scouting for 25 years and is a Silver Beaver or something) would have us tying knots all the time or watching 3 straight weeks of fire safety videos. As a result attendance dwindled. The deacons were doing great with the 2nd Counselor, but the Teachers and Priests were sinking. I can't tell you how many weeks I'd show up for mutual and not have one Teacher or Priest.

A couple of months ago the President decided to split the Priests and Teachers with me being over the Teachers. We've gone from having one Teacher who showed up half the time to 6 that show up every week and 1 that shows up most weeks. It would be more but two boys just moved. As near as I can tell, those 7 boys comprise 100% of the 14-15 year old boys that live in the ward boundaries (including non-members).

We don't really do any scout stuff. In an average month I like to have 2 fun activities, 1 spiritual or service activity and then the combined activity. So far it's been working well.
Sounds like an indictment of a crappy presidency, not an indictment of scouting.

If you run it like shiz, of course it is going to suck.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #50
Burning Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Sounds like an indictment of a crappy presidency, not an indictment of scouting.

If you run it like shiz, of course it is going to suck.
That's an astute comment and I think that's a large part of it.