cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #21
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

He sounds like he'll be Blaine Fowler to our next Robbie Bosco, and I'd be fine with that. He's already accomplished more in the Ute rivalry than most, even if he never sees the field.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #22
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm told he wasn't really recruited by BYU and that in the end, his decision came down to USU or Utah. Can anyone confirm?

I actually don't know much about the kid (heck, if I can't get BYU games, how should I ever see a USU game?) but the reaction over on Ute fans seems to indicate this is a fairly big get for the Y. Would they really be up-in-arms over a recruiter contacting some no-name in the mission field and getting him to change his mind?

His size is an issue, but one that can be overcome if he has other skills, IMO.

I'm curious ... does this open the box for other colleges to contact and recruit actively serving missionaries? Can UCLA or ASU or whoever call up a mission president and get permission to recruit?

Interesting story ...
He was not heavily recruited out of high school, though he arguably performed the best of any Utah HS QB that year, including Lark. He's from Logan. I think he always had an idea he would play a year at USU and see what his options were after his mission. He did alright for a frosh at USU. He's got issues with size and arm strength, but he's at least on par with Feterik in those areas, and I wouldn't mind a talent level Feterik with the competitive/winning characteristics of Nelson. I think it's a big deal for BYU vs U people just because it's another symbol of someone choosing one program over the other when both wanted him. Brady, Unga, Filiaga, etc.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #23
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
He was not heavily recruited out of high school, though he arguably performed the best of any Utah HS QB that year, including Lark. He's from Logan. I think he always had an idea he would play a year at USU and see what his options were after his mission. He did alright for a frosh at USU. He's got issues with size and arm strength, but he's at least on par with Feterik in those areas, and I wouldn't mind a talent level Feterik with the competitive/winning characteristics of Nelson. I think it's a big deal for BYU vs U people just because it's another symbol of someone choosing one program over the other when both wanted him. Brady, Unga, Filiaga, etc.
Again, his father said BYU recruited him "as heavily" as anyone else. Whether that's simply the father being politic, I don't know. It's certainly true that his offers were for UofU & USU out of HS, and he didn't have an offer from BYU.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #24
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Again, his father said BYU recruited him "as heavily" as anyone else. Whether that's simply the father being politic, I don't know. It's certainly true that his offers were for UofU & USU out of HS, and he didn't have an offer from BYU.
Yes, BYU recruited him heavily. Just as heavily as all the other kids they didn't offer scholarships to.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes, BYU recruited him heavily. Just as heavily as all the other kids they didn't offer scholarships to.
The recruiting was this: please come to us as a preferred walk-on. We'll give you first dibs when Bower and Cooper transfer.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #26
Spaz

Quote:
Because all recruitment includes a scholarship offer, right? It's not possible for a coach to be in near-constant contact with an athlete, but never get the opportunity to offer the kid a scholarship?

Let's be clear on definitions here - recruiting an athlete does not necessarily include offering that athlete a scholarship. Nor does offering a scholarship necessarily mean the school contacts the athlete more than another school that does not offer one.

Personally, I'll bow to the statements made by those personally involved rather than make assumptions pulled from my own asshole...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 05-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #27
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Because all recruitment includes a scholarship offer, right? It's not possible for a coach to be in near-constant contact with an athlete, but never get the opportunity to offer the kid a scholarship?

Let's be clear on definitions here - recruiting an athlete does not necessarily include offering that athlete a scholarship. Nor does offering a scholarship necessarily mean the school contacts the athlete more than another school that does offer one.

Personally, I'll bow to the statements made by those personally involved rather than make assumptions pulled from my own asshole...
I'll personally bow to logic and reason and not public statements made by people with an agenda.

Next time sometime tells you they were recruited heavily by BYU, ask them if they offered them a scholarship. If they didn't, chances are they're giving you a snow job. There are a lot of these little logic rules you can live by, Spaz. Another one is when someone wants to give you a multilevel marketing presentation, ask them to show you their last month's revenues. Tell them you'll meet with them if they can show it's more than $1,000. This cuts out 99% of those guys.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #28
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

It went as simple as this: BYU offered Lark instead of Nelson. They recruited Nelson as offered a preferred walk-on spot out of high school.

Out of High School he had 2 offers: Utah and Utah State. He chose USU. He started some as a Freshman and showed moxie,,,especially for a Bottom 10 program like USU.

Lark has not looked good since his time at BYU. Coaches have been less than impressed with his effort, attitude and ability.

Don't be surprised at all if Lark transfers out upon return from his mission.

Munns is the real deal. Coaches love the guy. It's too bad he blew his knee out his first year while redshirting.

Munns and...Jake Heaps...yeah I know if he signs with BYU (and he probably will) are BYU's QB's of the future, but Nelson will definetly get a shot to start come 2010.

Nelson is going to redshirt the 09' season and learn the offense and run the scout team along with Steven Covey. He'll have every opportunity to learn the offense.

I firmly believe that arm strength at the college level is an overated attribute. The fact he doesn't have a great arm doesn't bother me. He can make the neccessary throws to be successful in BYU's offense.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #29
Spaz

Quote:
I'll personally bow to logic and reason and not public statements made by people with an agenda.

Next time sometime tells you they were recruited heavily by BYU, ask them if they offered them a scholarship. If they didn't, chances are they're giving you a snow job. There are a lot of these little logic rules you can live by, Spaz. Another one is when someone wants to give you a multilevel marketing presentation, ask them to show you their last month's revenues. Tell them you'll meet with them if they can show it's more than $1,000. This cuts out 99% of those guys.
lol. The problem is, logic and reason only work so long as your thinker isn't busted...

If I'm a coach, and I really like a certain player, who popped up on the radar fairly late, what's the most logical move? To ignore him and assume you won't have a scholarship to offer him, or to send him letters & frequently go down to see him play, etc. - do everything as if you plan to offer, hoping that a schollie becomes available?

You see, LOGIC dictates that you recruit multiple "extras" at each position, on the chance that your primary choices decide to go elsewhere, and then you're left trying to play catch-up with the 'leftovers'.

All that said, you're absolutely correct in pointing out the possibility of a 'snow job'. And it's entirely possible that the dad is simply being honest. Given that my only basis for making that judgment is that he's an LDS father with a missionary in the field, I choose to believe him.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #30
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
It went as simple as this: BYU offered Lark instead of Nelson. They recruited Nelson as offered a preferred walk-on spot out of high school.

Out of High School he had 2 offers: Utah and Utah State. He chose USU. He started some as a Freshman and showed moxie,,,especially for a Bottom 10 program like USU.

Lark has not looked good since his time at BYU. Coaches have been less than impressed with his effort, attitude and ability.

Don't be surprised at all if Lark transfers out upon return from his mission.

Munns is the real deal. Coaches love the guy. It's too bad he blew his knee out his first year while redshirting.

Munns and...Jake Heaps...yeah I know if he signs with BYU (and he probably will) are BYU's QB's of the future, but Nelson will definetly get a shot to start come 2010.

Nelson is going to redshirt the 09' season and learn the offense and run the scout team along with Steven Covey. He'll have every opportunity to learn the offense.

I firmly believe that arm strength at the college level is an overated attribute. The fact he doesn't have a great arm doesn't bother me. He can make the neccessary throws to be successful in BYU's offense.
If he shows the ability find the open man and score this offense, I have absolutely no problem with his lack of size & arm strength. At worst, he gives some added depth to a thin position. At best, he could be a successful starter at the D1 level.