cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
They weren't serious, they were just giving me a hard time. They are definitely not the sheep variety, which is why we get along so well.

This was one of my points about the bureaucracy of the church. I think most of us get worn out by the way people act at church compared to the way they really are. After reading this board, and CB, I feel like there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same. I am not talking about living the commandments. Rather, I am speaking of those who speak openly, and have opinions that may differ from the majority. Although my friends gave me a hard time, they were joking with me because they knew it was truly how I felt. I have this problem where I can't be fake. If I don't like you, I can't hide it. (I wish I could fake it a little more in that area.)
When I was younger, I used to think very few people in the wards I attended had any heterodoxy. But as I got older, I realized there really were all sorts of beliefs and opinions, amongst people who I thought were by-the-book.

And sometimes that is good to know. The person who gets up and says "I'm not sure about whether the gospel is true, but I enjoy being here, I enjoy associating with you, and I feel great here" may do more good for others than the person who gives a rote recitation.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Thirteen years ago, I blessed my son that he would love to learn, to read, to study math and science that he would develop convictions and love for people.

I prayed he would have a strong body, that he could discern truth from error and that he would pursue those matters which were dear to his heart. I was mocked all the same and still am by my wife who wanted a traditional blessing.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
When I was younger, I used to think very few people in the wards I attended had any heterodoxy. But as I got older, I realized there really were all sorts of beliefs and opinions, amongst people who I thought were by-the-book.
Then I can imagine you'd be most surprised at mine.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

What is a traditional blessing?

Is it the whole..."We bless that you'll fulfill the desire to serve the Lord on a mission and that one day you'll take one of the Lord's fair daughters into the Temple as your wife and raise a family of your own" ...is that the traditional blessing that is being referred to?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #15
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
This weekend we blessed our baby in church. I am not one for the standard Mormon speak in blessings. So in my blessing to my Son, I blessed him to have the desire to learn to read, study math, science, and literature. All my friends were there, and totally mocked me after the fact.
I see nothing wrong with this... Maybe it's just because I have sat through thousands of baby blessings in my short life but I've heard similar things and never raised an eyebrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Thirteen years ago, I blessed my son that he would love to learn, to read, to study math and science that he would develop convictions and love for people.
How'd that work out for ya? Just so Dallas knows what to look forward to.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:59 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE View Post
I see nothing wrong with this... Maybe it's just because I have sat through thousands of baby blessings in my short life but I've heard similar things and never raised an eyebrow.

How'd that work out for ya? Just so Dallas knows what to look forward to.
He loves science, math, reading and history. It must solely be related to the blessing and not related to parenting or his inate qualities.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #17
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

What is the history of blessing babies? How did it start?
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #18
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I gave one of my sons the gift of prophesy, that he would be able to see into the future.
I'm also thinking of blessing him to be bulletproof. If Joseph Smith could bless Porter Rockwelll with that then my son can have similar blessings
Old 09-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
probably a replacement to the non-Mormon tradition of baptizing children.

It's one of those priesthood functions that is not a saving ordinance.

My opinion is that it functions as a recitation of Mormon values, for the Mormon audience to hear. i.e. "what is the definition of a good Mormon life."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:14 PM   #20
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I'm not sure where the roots of the current practice come from, but the concept has its roots in D&C 20:70:

"Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name."
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote