cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

This subject has been hashed through many times. Two apostles found tons of problems with it and he published it with something less than official approval. Mormon Doctrine's legacy is more divisive these days, but there are still those Mormons who hold to it pretty closely.

I'm not one of them.

An observation for SU:

You seem to want to "stick" Mormons with their mullahness. It's almost like you want them to be more mullah.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 05-29-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am struggling to understand what his general point is. Perhaps you can help me.
My point was that Mormon Doctrine is such an important book and so embarrassing to Mormons my age and younger that they have no choice but to speak disparagingly of McConcie. This is always surprising to me, given how I was raised to revere General Authorities and the status of Mormon Doctrine before, during and after my mission.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-29-2007 at 07:53 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I thought it was that Mormon Doctrine was a very important book and people in the church thought very highly of it before SU left. It was close to the standard reference work on doctrine. Did I incorrectly see through SU's hyperbole?
No, I don't think that was his main point. If that's the case, who would argue with that? How did he ever get the idea that we don't agree that the book was highly regarded and highly influential?

Here is what puzzles me. He states:

Quote:
Since "Mormon Doctrine" pragmatic Mormons must acknowledge that their apostles and prophets are very capable of not only error, but downright foolishness, backwardness, mendacity, and purveying downright evil and false creed. There is no other explanation for "Mormon Doctrine" regardless of your status with the Mormon church, if you have more than an ounce of pragmatism. "Mormon Doctrine" is an embarrassment of staggering proportions. It just is.
Followed by:

Quote:
I've never gotten used to the condescending and critical comments younger Mormons now routinely apply to McConkie, as a superficial fall back to explaining the inexplicable, though it appears some younger Mormons take this reality for granted. To me this paradigm shift is astonishing.
He almost seems to be saying "How dare any of you speak ill of such an awful book?"
Old 05-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
He was a member of the 12 for 13 years. I wasn't aware that there was such a formal status as "senior apostle." MD was in publication all that time. I believe he was one of the oldest and longest tenured apostles when he died.
With twelve years, he wasn't close.

No, he was notable through his marriage, through his dogmatic style and deep bass voice, not by virture of tenure or actual production.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #15
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
This subject has been hashed through many times. Two apostles found tons of problems with it and he published it with something less than official approaval. Mormon Doctrine's legacy is more divisive these days, but there are still those Mormons who hold to it pretty closely.

I'm not one of them.

An observation for SU:

You seem to want to "stick" Mormons with their mullahness. It's almost like you want them to be more mullah.
The problem is exacerbated because no one who counts will adress Mormon Doctrine or even really say what Mormon doctrine is, except for broad generalizations in a puff piece.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #16
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He almost seems to be saying "How dare any of you speak ill of such an awful book?"

That's what I meant when I said that SU seems to want to "stick" Mormons with their mullahness.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #17
SeattleUte

Soon to come are efforts to attack SU the messenger as well. But SU is just making a few modest and indubitable points plain as the nose on your face.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...But SU is just making a few modest and indubitable points plain as the nose on your face.
LOL. Modest, indeed.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The problem is exacerbated because no one who counts will adress Mormon Doctrine or even really say what Mormon doctrine is, except for broad generalizations in a puff piece.
LDS are not a creed based religion, so you will never again see formal declarations of necessary creeds. It is more of a lifestyle commitment than creed-based.

MD is embarrassing because it endeavors to create a creed where we need one not.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
Maybe I'm saying something like that, scrubbing away your hyperbole. All I'm really saying is how things have changed: It used to be no one would say something like what an awful book this apostle wrote; he's so full of it. It just wasn't done. Which is where Palagius' point comes in. An apostle (or Seventy) writes (or publishes a new edition) of a book authoritatively called "Mormon Doctrine," with a tone that sounds for all the world like the burning bush in DeMille's move, naturally the book becomes hugely important. Especially when fellow GA's endorse it at least by their silence. "Mormon Doctrine" has changed that paradigm. That's all I'm saying. Does anyone disagree with me as far as that goes?

—Paul Auster