cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Genocide, pederasty, rape and murder....

I mean there are a lot of awful things in the world.

Which makes me wonder how limited Romney's imagination is if he can't imagine anything more awful than polygamy.

The irony of the church's relationship with the concept of polygamy in 2007 is mind-boggling. Some of our ancestors actually went to prison in defense of this practice, yet in 2007 church members beat the war drums to have polygamists arrested. The church is one of the leaders in the battle of defining marriage through constitutional amendment, which would effectively ban polygamy in the United States forever, and the Mormon presidential candidate says he can't imagine anything more awful.

Was it a righteous practice or not? Why would God command us to do something that would lead to ultimate sorrow? Do we respect the right of others to practice it as part of their religion?

In 1843, Romney would have been excommunicated for his statement. In 2007, he is lionized.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

A little hyperbolic to say the least. He could have phrased it differently and still accomplished his task, that being separating himself from the practice (again).

Note that on the Tonight Show he rejoiced over the 1978 change, stating his strong feeling "that discrimination in wrong." Was he calling God wrong? I hope his SP is taking notes.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I mean there are a lot of awful things in the world.

Which makes me wonder how limited Romney's imagination is if he can't imagine anything more awful than polygamy.

The irony of the church's relationship with the concept of polygamy in 2007 is mind-boggling. Some of our ancestors actually went to prison in defense of this practice, yet in 2007 church members beat the war drums to have polygamists arrested. The church is one of the leaders in the battle of defining marriage through constitutional amendment, which would effectively ban polygamy in the United States forever, and the Mormon presidential candidate says he can't imagine anything more awful.

Was it a righteous practice or not? Why would God command us to do something that would lead to ultimate sorrow? Do we respect the right of others to practice it as part of their religion?

In 1843, Romney would have been excommunicated for his statement. In 2007, he is lionized.
For starters, polygamy isn't practiced the same way now as it was back in the 19th century.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Was it a righteous practice or not? Why would God command us to do something that would lead to ultimate sorrow? Do we respect the right of others to practice it as part of their religion?b
This is exactly why the Church has been running away from the polygamy issue for years. All but the most deluded members now realize that polygamy was not commanded by God. Most have come to grips with the realization that early Church leaders were misguided. Some are even bold enough to admit that polygamy only came about because the early Church needed a way to explain JS's philandering.

The modern mormon Church is never going to openly admit that polygamy was not a righteous practice. They will continue to spout the the line that polygamy is no longer practiced and it is an issue that no longer needs to be discussed. And those outside the Church will continue to press the polygamy issue because they don't buy the Church's explanation. Until the church upgrades its explanation, people will continue to press mormons for something more convincing.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
For starters, polygamy isn't practiced the same way now as it was back in the 19th century.
That's like defending O.J. by saying, "At least he's not as bad as Jeffrey Dahmer."
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 05-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
This is exactly why the Church has been running away from the polygamy issue for years. All but the most deluded members now realize that polygamy was not commanded by God. Most have come to grips with the realization that early Church leaders were misguided. Some are even bold enough to admit that polygamy only came about because the early Church needed a way to explain JS's philandering.

The modern mormon Church is never going to openly admit that polygamy was not a righteous practice. They will continue to spout the the line that polygamy is no longer practiced and it is an issue that no longer needs to be discussed. And those outside the Church will continue to press the polygamy issue because they don't buy the Church's explanation. Until the church upgrades its explanation, people will continue to press mormons for something more convincing.
I realize I'm asking an unbeliever, but I'll ask it anyway: D&C 132 was a complete fabrication?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Quote:
That's like defending O.J. by saying, "At least he's not as bad as Jeffrey Dahmer."
Oh yeah, that's an accurate analogy.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
non sequitur

Quote:
I realize I'm asking an unbeliever, but I'll ask it anyway: D&C 132 was a complete fabrication?
I'm not familiar with D&C 132, but since it's contained in the D&C I'm comfortable with guessing that it is, indeed, a fabrication.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
non sequitur

Quote:
Oh yeah, that's an accurate analogy.
How is it inaccurate? I assume the point of your original post was to point out that polygamy, as practiced by the early church, was free of many of the abuses found in modern day polygamy. My point is that polygamy is wrong, no matter how you spin it. The accumulation of multiple sex partners for the gratification of old men in power is, at its core, a sleazy practice. There is no way to dress it up and say that JS banging 30 young girls is somehow less sleazy than Warren Jeffs banging 30 young girls.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Quote:
How is it inaccurate? I assume the point of your original post was to point out that polygamy, as practiced by the early church, was free of many of the abuses found in modern day polygamy. My point is that polygamy is wrong, no matter how you spin it. The accumulation of multiple sex partners for the gratification of old men in power is, at its core, a sleazy practice. There is no way to dress it up and say that JS banging 30 young girls is somehow less sleazy than Warren Jeffs banging 30 young girls.
It's really pointless to debate this with you if you think D&C 132 is a complete fabrication.