cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 04:38 AM   #71
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a good thought experiment:

If we could, hypothetically, push a button and kill everyone in the middle east (including Northern Africa, Pakistan, India, and Indonesia) would we be safer?

I'm not speaking to the ethics or morality of doing so. I'm simply asking if Americans would be safer.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:39 AM   #72
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You are asking the military to kill hundreds of thousands of civilians in Iraq.

Didn't Bush say we were going there to liberate them from Saddam?

This is like me asking you if you prefer to 1) live in SLC under Rocky, or 2) have me kill your family.

I think you would take option #1.

An America that promises liberty but brings genocide is not a America I want to be a part of. And I think if you stop and think about what you are suggesting, you will agree with me.
You are correct that I would rather not see civilians die. They don't deserve to die if they really are innocent. But if they are willing to allow the terrorists to use their homes, businesses, mosques and schools to kill Americans, then they should be considered the enemy.

Perhaps I'm selfish and thinking only of my family myself, but I'd rather that it happen over there than here.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 04-27-2007 at 04:44 AM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:40 AM   #73
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
No kidding. This "kill any and all Iraqis" mentality is scary. We are better than that. Any possible military gain from such a strategy would be more than offset by the moral and strategic consequences.
Well, it's not scary because the vast majority of Americans don't really feel this way. One of America's defining virtues is that so far the military is subject to the will and authority of the electorate. Nobody who's running things is talking about annihilating Iraqis.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:45 AM   #74
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

If we could, hypothetically, push a button and kill everyone in the middle east (including Northern Africa, Pakistan, India, and Indonesia) would we be safer?

I'm not speaking to the ethics or morality of doing so. I'm simply asking if Americans would be safer.
Yeah, somebody set out systematically and deliberately to accomplish something like that back in the 1930's and '40's. He sure wound up creating a safe homeland for his people, didn't he (leaving aside for purpose of the thought experiment the enemies from outside that country). This type of thing is really what is meant by the word karma.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:46 AM   #75
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Nobody who's running things is talking about annihilating Iraqis.
At least not in the United States. The terrorist organizations operating in Iraq often employ the annihialation of Iraqi's as a strategy. I understand the frustration of military folks and civilian observers, but carpet bombing entire regions with no regard for collateral damage is a certain failure in this battle of hearts and minds.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #76
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
No kidding. This "kill any and all Iraqis" mentality is scary. We are better than that. Any possible military gain from such a strategy would be more than offset by the moral and strategic consequences.
Do you feel it was immoral to kill the Nazis?

I see no difference between Nazi Germany and the terrorists.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #77
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You are correct that I would rather not see civilians die. They don't deserve to die if they really are innocent. But if they are willing to allow the terrorists to use their homes, businesses, mosques and schools to kill Americans, then they should be considered the enemy.

Perhaps I'm selfish and thinking only of my family myself, but I'd rather that it happen over there than here.
Really? You may want to think this through a bit more.

While many are giving shelter to the terrorists, how many of them are doing so out of pure intimidation or fear? Do they deserve to die because they are trying to protect their family from retribution from terrorists? What would you do? Let me guess: you would kill them all and stare death in the face, right!
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #78
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't think we'd be much safer. The September 11th attacks originated on US soil by people that lived here. There isn't a country in the Middle East that could sustain a war on U.S. soil. They aren't capable of getting an army here let alone keeping them supplied. I would venture a guess that they wouldn't reach the U.S. before they were blown out of the water/air. Their only hope is to live among us and create terror like they did on Sept. 11th.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:48 AM   #79
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Yeah, somebody set out systematically and deliberately to accomplish something like that back in the 1930's and '40's. He sure wound up creating a safe homeland for his people, didn't he (leaving aside for purpose of the thought experiment the enemies from outside that country). This type of thing is really what is meant by the word karma.
Did Japan ever attack the US again?

Perhaps it did make America safer.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:49 AM   #80
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Do you feel it was immoral to kill the Nazis?

I see no difference between Nazi Germany and the terrorists.
You aren't talking about selectively killing the terrorists. You are talking about wiping out an entire country with carpet bombing.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote