cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In case anyone cares...I'm back

Hey all. This is probably the wrong forum, since it isn't religious, but I'm back. I gave myself a time-out from message boards for a while after being a little rude to someone on this board several weeks ago. Then my wife and I spent a week in Vegas. I can't remember what happened in Vegas because it all somehow stayed there. Go figure. After that, I've been continually busy adding a service to our business. I hope you all accomplished a lot while I was gone. So, what do I have to catch up on?
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Hey all. This is probably the wrong forum, since it isn't religious, but I'm back. I gave myself a time-out from message boards for a while after being a little rude to someone on this board several weeks ago. Then my wife and I spent a week in Vegas. I can't remember what happened in Vegas because it all somehow stayed there. Go figure. After that, I've been continually busy adding a service to our business. I hope you all accomplished a lot while I was gone. So, what do I have to catch up on?
Welcome back. You were missed. Don't take it badly if you are a little rude to someone, or they are rude to you. It happens all the time.

If you wonder what you missed go look at the religion section.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Welcome Back. Archaea and I were discussing, Mark Goodacre's, "Case Against Q" the other day. We were hoping for your input on that one:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7533

Last edited by pelagius; 04-23-2007 at 09:21 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Welcome, Back. Archaea and I were discussing, Mark Goodacre's, "Case Against Q" the other day. We were hoping for your input on that one:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7533
Ahh, yes, a very solid scholar. It is great to have a solid scholar doing work against Q. Now for a confession. I haven't read his book, but I met him and heard his big paper presentation of his book (well, at least his argument) at a conference in Atlanta a few years back, and heard his argument and a lengthy discussion about it in detail. He has a compelling case, especially from the point of view of parsimony, or IOW let's take a serious look at the simplest explanation. The problem is that I'm a text critic, and so some of the best arguments in his camp (ie. the "minor agreements" [geez, it's been a while, did I even get the term right?]) seem to me to be best explained by later scribal harmonizations of Luke to the VERY popular Matthew rather than Luke's actual literary dependence on Matthew. I'm also still working on the difficulty of the textual relation between the sermon on the Mount and the sermon on the plain. I find it hard to accept Mathean priority and Lucan dependence on Matthew in light of these difficult literary relationships. When he gets to this point, I think parsimonly is then kind of turned on its head and in some ways Q becomes easier to accept.

So to sum it up, I accept the four source hypothesis, including Q (though I would be quick to call Q a scholarly construct with a literary basis rather than call it a document) and put it in the 70-80% range in terms of probability, but I have a ton of respect for Goodacre.

Last edited by Chapel-Hill-Coug; 04-23-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Very good to have you back, CHC.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget our classics group.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #7
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Don't forget our classics group.
Wow, an actual classics forum. I'm impressed! Guess I'd better brush up on all things Greece and Rome. I've been living in Palestinian, Syrian and Egyptian libraries (figuratively speaking of course) looking at papyrus and parchment for far too long. I've not done a whole lot with classics since undergrad.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow, an actual classics forum. I'm impressed! Guess I'd better brush up on all things Greece and Rome. I've been living in Palestinian, Syrian and Egyptian libraries (figuratively speaking of course) looking at papyrus and parchment for far too long. I've not done a whole lot with classics since undergrad.
Coptic stuff?
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We'll accept anything from those areas as well, although not entirely "classic" in a strict interpretational sense.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Coptic stuff?
Well, yes, I did a year of coptic and can work through mss in coptic, but i was mostly referring to exant Greek mss of the NT, most of which are from Egypt.