cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #31
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Prez Hinckley says we are supposed to stop swearing because it shows a limited vocabulary.
I hear people make this argument all the time, but the truth is that it is a crock of shit. I don't say that someone is a prick or an asshole because I lack vocabulary. I use those words because they most precisely convey my feelings towards those people. If someone can come up with a word besides prick or asshole that carries the same meaning, I'd be more than happy to alter my vocabulary. I'm guessing, though, that no one can come up with an acceptable substitute.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I hear people make this argument all the time, but the truth is that it is a crock of shit. I don't say that someone is a prick or an asshole because I lack vocabulary. I use those words because they most precisely convey my feelings towards those people. If someone can come up with a word besides prick or asshole that carries the same meaning, I'd be more than happy to alter my vocabulary. I'm guessing, though, that no one can come up with an acceptable substitute.
I'm afraid I agree with NS on this one. Carefully selected use of cuss words is an art form. You just have to have good sense and judgement on when to use them.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #33
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Prez Hinckley says we are supposed to stop swearing because it shows a limited vocabulary. But cutting out swearing would cut my vocabulary in half, so I'd actually get farther than where we are supposed to be if I clean things up. It's a mixed message IMHO.
Good point. Also lost in this whole discussion is how cool swearing makes you. I've already lost a ton of cool points by not smoking. Curbing my language isn't going to do me any favors.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #34
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I agree with you here, it doesn't always indicate a limited vocabulary. Some of the most prolific swearers that I know have incredible vocabularies. I do however think that the 'f' word is a notable exception. People who use it every other word display a lack of class and vocabulary that I find very annoying. There are no shortage of these folks where I live.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote