cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road
Default I need bike advice

I'm looking to buy a road bike. I'm not a cyclist at all, but would like to start riding casually. There will be no races in my future, but I need a bike that will last and one that's strong enough for a guy my size. I weigh about 225 (I should weigh about 175). What are your recommendations as far as brand name and model? I plan on riding about 10 miles a day to start. Also, about how much is it going to cost me?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I'm looking to buy a road bike. I'm not a cyclist at all, but would like to start riding casually. There will be no races in my future, but I need a bike that will last and one that's strong enough for a guy my size. I weigh about 225 (I should weigh about 175). What are your recommendations as far as brand name and model? I plan on riding about 10 miles a day to start. Also, about how much is it going to cost me?
For the ultimate in comfort for fun rides, viva recumbency.
http://www.linearrecumbent.com/

Underseat steering is the best.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be able to get an entry level road bike for $500-600 (Trek, Specialized, KHS). Frame may be steel, and that's fine.

If you look around for used, could get one for a bit cheaper. You have to make sure the bike is the right size for you however. A good bike shop should be able to help you with that.

Get good riding shorts (don't try to save money on this one).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You have to make sure the bike is the right size for you however.
Righto. This is why we can't tell you what model to look for (some models will naturally fit you better than others). Size and fit are both important. Ask around to find a good bike shop near you. Take a friend who knows about bikes when you're ready to buy. They can translate bike-shop-ese for you.

Sent you a boardmail with a few other thoughts.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

You should identify the nearest competent bike shops to you. Determine which brands they offer and service.

Thereafter demo a few bikes and ask the bike guys what size would fit you. Take it out for a few rides, then order one custom-fitted for you.

Bikes are about several parts fitted together for you. At entry level, packages are better buys.

However, for comfort and fit, which ultimately transfer into enjoyability in riding, you need to be aware of frame materials, design and size, compentry (meaning gears, shifters and brakes), wheels (including rims, spokes, hubs and tires), forks (front and back), seat post and seat. The correct configuration of these aspects makes for a good combination.

Don't be so price sensitive. If you buy something nice, you'll appreciate it, even if you don't race. I know lots of century riders who have top notch bikes. The difference is between driving a Yugo versus anything up the ladder. You will notice a difference.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are near a REI store they are having a 20% sale until April 1. Some real nice deals on 2006 models. The one near us carriers cannondales, K2, Novara and a couple of other brands I can't remember. REI is too expensive, usually, but at 20% off it is tough to beat.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:01 AM   #7
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to take my first shopping trip this weekend. I'm hoping to be riding within a couple of weeks depending on how soon I can find a bike I like. I'll be back to ask for tips on training!
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote