cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Politcal correctness and Christmas

AS many of you know I work at a community college and I've been walking on eggshells this year more so than any other over the issue of wishing others, staff and students, a Merry Christmas (or as is preferred up north here, Happy Christmas).

The ironic thing is a staffer in the college who I know to be Muslim unabashedly sent out an email wishing everyone a Happy Christmas.

Now of course the student body is exceptionally diverse as compared to the rest of North America … yet, it is predominantly individuals from anywhere but North America who are wishing everyone else the Happy Christmas? When did the north American of Anglo Saxon decent lose their nerve?

Oh and by the way ... Merry Christmas to all!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Politcal correctness and Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
Oh and by the way ... Merry Christmas to all!
And Happy Holidays to you!
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I kind of see that as being them respecting our celebration of Christmas. Likewise, I usually go the "Happy Holidays" route, because I have a number of Jewish friends and acquaintances.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

The whole issue just baffles me. So someone wishes me a good Ramadan, a Happy Hanukkah, a super Kwanzaa or a Merry Christmas. How on earth am I going to be upset by that? Can you imagine taking the time to stop and say, "well, actually, I'm Christian so please, no Ramadankwanakka wishes for me please".

I usually say Merry Christmas because you can count on 1 hand in my town anybody who would be offended by that sentiment. But perhaps I'd go the Happy Holidays route if I were back in a large city. If I did go the Happy Holidays route it would only be to save me from trying to guess what the person wished to celebrate in the first place.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:23 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When someone wishes me Happy Holidays...

I respond by saying Merry Christmas, as I celebrate Christmas. If they are offended, it's because they choose to be offended.

To be honest, I prefer what Robert Kirby thinks we should say, especially if it has to be secular: "Go to hell."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote